Sky+? or not Sky +?!! that is the question!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mason, Sep 21, 2004.

1. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi folks!!

I got a postcard in from Sky today- promoting Sky+. The are offering it at £199 and £60 install with no additional subscription as I have full package etc.

Is this a good deal or not??

What benefits (other than the recording thing) does this hold- has it increased picture quality or sound etc.

Your advice is appreciated!! :smashin:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I'm sure it's been £149 plus £60 install on the website!
    £99 for new subscribers and quite a few posters who are already subscribers have got the cheaper price by using the cancellation tactic.

SKY+ in terms of video and audio is just another digibox (any differences are more down to components used by the various manufacturers and not the platform itself). The recordings are identical to the broadcasts so it outperforms DVD recorders and VHS easily and you have access to Dolby Digital soundtracks on selected movies.
    Being able to record one channel and watch another or record two channels and watch a previous recording will be a revelation, your subscription package will be used more and you will find program gems you simply would not have bothered with when relying on a VHS-Digibox combo.

Anyone thinking of replacing a standard digibox should always consider upgrading to SKY+ especially if they already subscribe to a package that waives the SKY+ monthly fee.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Might be worth waiting till Oct as they have a newer model with a HDD 4 times bigger than the current model. i.e. 160GB giving 80 hours recording time, (rather than 40GB and 20 hours).

4. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    However this is likely to be £400, and you could get a 160gb drive yourself for about £75 quid and put it in a current sky+ machine

5. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No it is not!!!!!

I got Sky+ for £99 and free installation by threatening to cancel my subscription as I was unhappy this deal was for new subscribers only. This has also worked for many others, but you MUST threaten to cancel.

6. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Does the sky+ box also benefit from an optical out for better sound, or can you get this with a standard digital box?

7. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I think there are/were some non+ boxes with optical out, Grundig? I believe that Sky+ is the only type, which provides a Dolby Digital feed though.

8. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks Chips

I was looking to buy a DVD Recorder with a HD so seemed over the top to have Sky+ as well, but as I've just bought some new AV kit, I like the idea of a Dolby Digital feed. Maybe I should have a rethink about the DVD player.

9. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Dont assume because it has an optical out you will get Dolby Digital on all programs. Only about 5% of the movies actually have DD5.1, and NOTHING else at the moment. Even then its not the highest bitrate DD signal in the world (but still better than pro-logic obviously).

If your seriously into movies, then Sky+ is no substitute for DVD. Both PQ and audio are inferior to DVD

10. eric2

eric2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What would the sound quality be like from a standard digital box in comparison to Sky+ and what outputs does the standard digital box have?

Sorry if I'm high jacking the thread a bit here Mason

11. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The sounds quality will be basically the same if using the same connection/cabling.
    Some digiboxes have optical out (the Sony boxes do, that's for sure) but they wont give you DD on the small number of movies that broadcast them.

12. Dubster

Dubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I personally wouldnt recommend it as your sole tv recorder in the house..I've had mine now 4 months and i dont record much but i'm still getting at least 10% of failed recordings and honestly cant trust it to record VERY important programmes,so i'm constantly worrying if its recorded.

Otherwise its a good machine but let down by its reliability to record every program.

13. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    On the other hand I've had my Sky+ for 18 months and have it solely to save on having a video/dvd recorder. I can't say it hasn't failed, because it has, although it doesn't happen that often and even the normal terrestrial channels invariably repeat the programmes on the sister channels i.e E4 or ITV2.

In response to the thread title I don't know if that is a good deal but I know that Sky+ is like air conditioning and dish washers............once you have them you don't want to give them up! :smashin:

Live pause is the best thing invented, especially when you have a 10 month old boy struggling to go to sleep!

14. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I'd agree with alancolledge, once you've got Sky+ you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. It's the only recording device I've got and I've only had one failed recording in over 18 months - this is far outweighed by the fact that my wife can record anything she wants now, not something that could be said about the VCR.

John

15. Dubster

Dubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Only 1 failed recording in 18 months :eek: so from that reply you cant record much or you must be one of the lucky few who owns a special edition sky+ box cos since the last download and before now to think of it,failed recordings is one of sky+ main party tricks since it came out :rolleyes:

You just need to go on digital spy forum and read about failed recordings on sky+.

Btw i still think sky+ is a good machine when its working but sadly it isnt 100% on recordings and one of the things that bug people is not getting that IMPORTANT program recorded when a video is 100% reliable when it comes to recording..Only human error can bugger up a recording on a video with sky+ youve got no control :rolleyes:

Just remember before you buy sky+ if you want 100% recordings it isnt the machine to buy cos until sky sort out the dodgy software it will NOT guarantee to record everything you put in your planner and thats a fact and sky has known about it for months and still will not sort it out :mad:

Edit.....Just checked on my planner for sky doctors on itv 8pm and low and behold it didnt record (red light was on the front of the box) and before someone says call sky,i did a few weeks ago and a full reset was done which seem to work for awhile but not anymore :mad:

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Not gonna make Dubster very happy but in the 3 years I have had SKY+ I've had probably a dozen failures due to unknown reasons (software I guess) and a couple due to bad weather. The last one I had was about 3 months or so ago, Kingdom Hospital failed with "schedule changed" as the reason.

Anyone that reads these and the DS forums is going to come away with a totally skewed view on the reliablity of SKY+, the forums are after all mostly about problems and how to solve them :)

Not going to argue that the hardware and software are from the standard you should expect from a piece of consumer electronics but neither is it as bad when taken across 350,000 users as some peoples personal experiece makes out.

17. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Dubster,

Perhaps I have been lucky but I record at least one program pretty much every day and often more than that, I use the dual record function a lot as well and I've still only had the one fail (and that was before the latest software update).

In my case, the convenience factor far outweighs any problems I've had.

John

18. dapex

dapex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've just phoned sky and they have a message saying they cannot even match the £150 internet only offer for sky+ so i cant imagine how they are going to be able to match £99.

Does anyone know if my wife can sign up as a new user???

19. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have two SKY+ boxes, and in two years have only had failed recordings when there has been a problem with the signal, and these can be counted on one hand. Most of the recordings are done on the link facility. Might I suggest that you check your signal strength and quality on the Services menu, should be 60% or more. If the signal is lost, not only will it not complete the recordings, but likewise, one is unable to watch a previously recorded programme, something I would like to see changed on future upgrades, the Pace Twin tuner terrestial box, does not suffer from the same problem.

20. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,926
    I have found Sky+ to be very reliable. I've had a Pace Version 1 box since around March 2002 with original 40GB HDD and timeshift all my TV viewing on it (average of at least one recording per day) - so far it has never failed.

21. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The DTT boxes however are not part of a subscription service which can only verify itself by the presence of a signal from the satellite and combine that with encrypted data on the HD you understand why SKY+ needs to verify you have paid to use it.
    The length of time between signal lose and a recording being able to be playedback was increased an update or so ago, at least that is my understanding as people reported they could for a short while now watch a recording without an active signal.

22. mason

mason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    thanks for all of the above folks

i havent been on in a few days- so i have had few posts to go through!!

i think that if i get the system for the 99quid then its a goer!!

i am responding to this from the hotels internet booth!! i am on holiday in tenerife and cant do without the forums-- my wife is slagging the hell out of me as i type!!

cheers!!!

23. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,142
    It's got to be worth it for that little money ! I've had Sky+ for about a year and only had one failed recording (Top Gear on BBC2) - but the convenience of Sky+ really is the winner for me - I've recorded stuff that I would never bother recording in the past (as it was too much hassle) and found new interests.
    My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

24. Jonbur

Jonbur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Biggest benefit of any harddrive recorder is how much time it saves. An average hour of sky viewing only has 42 mins of program content, so you can nearly watch three programs in the time it takes to see two. A sky football match lasts two hours (ball is only in play for 43 minutes in an average game) so the whole thing can be done in an hour. The only disadvantage is when people say have you seen the funny advert for this or that, 'No'.

Only had Sky+ for a month, no failed recordings, totally over the moon particuarly with picture quality. Had Tivo for last two years, which is a more accomplished system in terms of software, but I assume Sky+ will have new fatures added.

Online price was £149 inc moving old box.

25. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I too have had maybe 2 failures in over 18 months and I do record a lot. So am I lucky or are others unlucky?

http://www.ordersky.com/equipment/skyplus.asp is the link for the £99 deal.
    Looks like a no brainer to me and makes the 160 version look even more than a rip off :eek:

26. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I forgot to add. For £99 you can get TWO boxes, that's Sky + AND a conventional box, with FREE installation for the whole lot including dish. You have an extra £10 per month for the extra box subscription of course. Also, you'll get the first month subscription at half price, cheapest one to avoid the sky+ sub is the sky sports world family pack one at £33. I think this is the cheapest anyway, certainly the cheapest one online.

27. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just ordered Sky+ myself should be fitted next monday and i can't wait :D just have to move the telephone socket. Payed £99 and subscribed to sky sports 1 + the family pack which is £28 amonth 1st month 1/2 price and no £10 a month charge for sky+. only problem i forsee is my neibours :rolleyes: