1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Or Hdd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by phelings, Aug 16, 2003.

1. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are lots of posts on here raving about the Panasonic HDD/DVD RECORDER units.An editable HDD is a great tool,but how do you non Sky+ users get around some of the drawbacks?Surely if you are using your HDD to record unattended from Sky,then all your recordings will have the dreaded red dot present during the entire recording.Totally unacceptable.Or is there a way round this?Do we really have to have both systems,so that recording on Sky+ is needed before transfer to HDD for editing,then onto DVDR for archiving?

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    1) Buy a "Red Dot Remover" - a device that just 'presses' backup every 30 seconds or so.

2) Press Backup on the handset and the Red Dot will disappear (it may reappear after ads etc) so this is an option if watching it live.

3) Not all channels have the Red Dot (yet....:rolleyes:)

Having both systems is ideal. I would suggest though the bottom line is having Sky+ alone means you can timeshift but not archive editted stuff, having the HS2 alone means you can still timeshift (with limitations such as not being able to watch/record different Sky channels) but also be able to archive editted stuff to HDD. If I had to loose Sky+ or the HS2 - it would be Sky+.

3. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    There is an issue with the red dot remover, which is why I haven't yet purchased one. If you use the epg to change channels for recording purposes and the useful series link function, an innapropriate backup signal will prevent the channel changing when required since it is also the signal to cancel the autoview change.

In practice I find very few programs which I wish to archive from the non major channels, indeed if you wish to avoid dogs on the recording you can really only use channels 1 to 5 anyway, plus one or 2 others. If I am following a series on one of the contaminated ones, I put up with the dogs and red dot, and delete from the drive without archiving.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    On Screen Graphics is, unfortunately, becoming something we just have to live with. Thankfully, having Sky+, I don't get bothered by the red dot but I would still suggest, even with the limitation Kenfowler highlights, it's better than nothing.

And of course Sky+ doesn't get rid of most DOGs anyway - channel logos are burnt onto screen whatever. Thankfully some, e.g. UK Drama, Sci-Fi Channel, can be quite effectively removed using a Logo removal programme once on a PC.

5. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I disagree entirely with this! :mad: Why should we put up with irritating channel logos etc. which are nothing more than a form of cheap advertising when we are already PAYING for the service in the first place?

Why should our TV viewing be spoilt with logos red dots and info about upcoming progerammes. Often the faces of people are obscured by this clutter. Take a look at any MTV channel for the worst examples to date.

This is the thin end of the wedge and if we accept this level of screen garbage they will keep on adding more anfd more. Next thing will be animated icons (there have been a few examples of this already), constant rolling ads at the bottom of the screen (don't laugh they are doing this in the US already instead of having ad-breaks)

It's a well known fact that on-screen graphics damage all screens over time (some more quickly than others). I also think that the manufaturers of TVs, plasma displays, LCD and RP screens should complain to TV companies about the damage their logos cause. A bit of industry pressure would be a Good Thing in my opinion.

I suggest everyone have a look at http://logofreetv.org and complain. With enough public outcry the TV companies will have to listen.

It looks as though some people will accept the status quo for now, but wait until they get a £2000 repair bill for their knackered screen...

Sorry to go on but this issue makes my blood boil! :devil:
    Owen

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Don't get me wrong - I HATE onscreen graphics - I've signed the petitions, written letters to complain etc etc. But the TV companies ignore us and I really don't think they are going to go away anytime soon. And until they do - we DO have to live with them or not watch the channels.

7. owenw

owenw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wasn't getting at you Rasczak, just this annoying situation and that some people don't seem to mind the on screen clutter.

If enough people rang up and temporarily cancelled their subscriptions until Sky rectify the situation then they might sit up and listen. :) Considering how little is on worth watching right now it wouldn't hurt much.

Can't see it happening somehow...

OwenW

8. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets face it chaps, Joe Public doesnt give a monkeys about on screen graphics. The tv companys know that they can show crap quality shows with thin plot lines and lamentable acting and people still flock to watch it in droves. I think they'll getaway wit a dot for a while longer.....

sorry to be pessamistic but its true.