1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ or HD Recorder

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by johndj1, Sep 26, 2003.

Tags:
  1. johndj1

johndj1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With Sky dropping their £10 sub I'm now very tempted to upgrade to Sky+, but I'm also tempted by the HD recorders that Richer Sounds had recently for £300.

What should I do? Both seems to have merits?

Please help.

Thanks

Dan

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sky+ and upgrade the HDD which still works out cheaper than £300 :)

3. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan I suppose it depends on your viewing habits. I had Sky+ installed about a week ago and Its great. It does everything well without hasle.

We have basically stopped watching the TV live as I now record most shows and watch when we want to. Fast forward all the ads. Picture quality is of course the same as the original broadcast.

if you use an external HDD recorder and want to record a Digital program you will need to set the Sky Box to that channel. Now you can only watch crackle vision analogue broadcasts.

Sky lets you watch and record at the same time. When dual record comes out you can record two channels and watch a previously recorded channel at the same time. Coupled with the series links so you dont miss anything (I know it doesnt always work).

Sky + is the way to go.

Rog

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or, buy two sky+ and upgrade both HDD to 120 gb then have one as a "mirror" subscription £10, you'll be able to record two channel at the same time now and when sky opens up dual record, you have four channel recording!!!!!

Just a shame it mostly cr*p on telly these days.

5. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ is excellent.But a worthy buy is the Panasonic HS2 which has fantastic editing qualities-great if you want to archive a run of series from Sky+ to DVD with no hassle.If its one or the other,then go Sky+.But both is great

6. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    johndj1 . If i were in your shoes and had to choose one or the other then the H2 would be my prority.

A recording medium with flexibility editing and so forth is far more important in my book than the fancy foot work of sky+ which one can quite easily live without.

Sky+ can't edit. The H2 can. The Sky + media (HD) is fixed and and limited in capacity. The H2 with both HD and RAM and DVD-R is limitless in capacity..Sky+ has the advantage of course of allowing you to record several hours in "XP" mode. The HD/RAM/-R machines on the other hand have the "FR" function which allows you to maximise quality.

As rnjones pointed out at the end of the day it depends on your viewing habits. Just because Sky+ is in no way shape or form a priority for me doesn't mean it may not be a priority for you......

Personaly if you can find "One" Sky channel worth watching let alone three that Sky+ will offer then you are a lucky person or i am just too plain fussy.. :D :D