sky or cable

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mattytinter, Oct 21, 2004.

1. mattytinter

mattytinter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ive got a pw6 plasma and a rgb to vga converter with very good quality leads, im looking to get either a sky box or cable telewest box, what generally gives me the best picture quality betwwen the two .. sat or cable (standard boxes)

2. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    The cable boxes technically ought to be able to give a far superior *everything* because the signal quality is constant and unaffected by weather. Even the SAT stuff they pick up with a huge dish.
    However in real life my local area, Telewest manage to screw it up with an inferior service.
    I'm not sure how good it is now, but when I last looked at it the pictures use to break up all the time the box crashed regularly and the EPG was useless. Sky was a far superior package and I have been very pleased with it.
    Sky is however generally more expensive. AND can be subject to weather if your dish was aligned by a duff installer.

-Neil

3. Langers

Langers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not impressed with NTL. Go for Sat imo.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I had the misfortune of having to switch from Sky to Cable due to moving address and have seen a marked reduction in picture quality. I have been told by others in this forum that it is due to the channels on cable being broadcast at a much lower biterate per channel.

The advantage of cable is that it isnt effected by atmospheric conditions but the disadvantages are lower picture quality, slower switch between channels, less reliable digibox (though as you rent it they will replace it indefinately where as with Sky you get a 12 month warrenty and then you are on your own) and awful customer service.

IMHO I would go with Sky if I had the choice

5. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Telewest when I was with them said that because you rent the box from them then you were future proofed because as new technologies came along then they would upgrade your box.
    Well I had analogue Telewest and when digital came along they wanted 50 quid or more to convert you to digital. :thumbsdow: The package was crap as well so I just went with Sky and have never looked back.

Telewest are awfull IMO BUT they do provide an excellent broadband and phone service. :smashin:

-Neil

6. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was with NTL and everything about it was poor compared to Sky - even the remote controls were terrible. I ended up getting Sky, kept NTL for cable modem and switched to BT for the telephone.

7. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I was with NTL for 4 years, but 6 months ago I changed to sky, taking advantage of Sky plus.
    I will never go cable again unless it makes siginificant changes.
    Sky broadcasts in widescreen when it appears that NTL broadcast in 4:3, unless my box was setup wrong.
    Sky interactive services work. I love watching premiership footy matches with fanzone! :thumbsup:
    You have the option of Sky plus, with tivo and Dolby 5,1 capabilities.
    Cable boxes are prone to frequent crashing and need rebooting.

In a nutshell, I have not yet had any problems with Sky, but I had lots with cable provider NTL.

Go Sky. :lesson:

8. MJ Invincible

MJ Invincible

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had both systems now for a few years (sky digital and ntl digital).

Sky digital is a LOT better - go for sky :) .

9. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    SKY every time. I switched from NTL to SKy because I wanted SKY+, was worried but have never looked back (42" Fuji)

10. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +715
    This may depend on your location but I have been on NTL for a few years ; programmes are widescreen on my box.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I thought I had widescreen at the time. It wasn't until I got Sky and found logo's like ITV2 nearer the middle of the screen rather in the left hand corner.
    I had obviously been watching a cropped image.

12. Cool Man

Cool Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to extend the topic covered so far.. if SKY is better than cable for PQ.. how does it compare to Freeview ?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated

13. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another long suffering NTL customer converted here, converted to Sky+ just over a month ago and haven't looked back since.

The NTL EPG is just so slow and cludgy and if it didn't crash often enough, required a reboot to refresh what it thought was the time and the EPG details.

Picture quality on Sky+ is a marked improvement, and I don't have to wait months or years for NTL to get their act together for new channels.

14. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I moved from sky to NTL after buying a TIVO box, and found the picture quality better on cable. I'm running a Panasonic AE700 projector with a 105" screen. The interactive services are poor on NTL though, and so are the menu's. Saying this though there isn't a lot of difference in quality between the two, as they are both bad. In 2006 Sky are introducing HDTV, whereas cable have no plans to!