Sky Or Art ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by DUVET, Aug 28, 2006.

1. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey all

I'm moving to a new place soon and i am thinking about getting sky + but i was in my local and they have art on there tv, and it only cost £180 a year for all those channels (every football match going etc etc).

does anyone know how much it is to get installed ?

what channels come with the package ?

is it a good picture as i'll be getting a 50" samsung hd ready plasma ?

all info would be great thanks.

duvet

2. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    ART cards are about £80-£100.

Receivers are about £70 to over £400 for an HD receiver (Dreambox, Technocmate etc)- depends what features you want.

£40ish for a motor and £40ish for dish. Cable a bit extra.

No idea how much an install costs- DIY ;)

HTH

3. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in ART also, but if we do invest in the ART setup for its football broadcasting, what are the chances it will stay the distance and not dissapear or be shut down ?

4. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

good question, would like to know the answer to that myself.

5. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Do a search as theres a few threads on Art cards already.Well worth the money if you like your football.:thumbsup:

6. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    have you looked at satellites.co.uk?

7. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, i'll check the site out now. :thumbsup:

8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    Also look at satdudez and alsat m8.:thumbsup:

9. rhawk

rhawk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local amateur Football Club paid £450 for the whole package including 1 years subscription and installation. The installer told them that the next renew for the card would be £250, although I've seen the cards on ebay at £100. All the Premier League commentries are in English.

10. DUVET

DUVET
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the amateur league team i play for has it too, i'll have to ask a few questions on sat see who done it for them, would be interested in getting it if thats all it costs !

11. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    surely sooner or later SKY will pressurise the authoritys to shut it down..

12. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
  13. wHoMe

wHoMe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    TPS and ART bought the rights to show Premiership games just as sky did,
    there's nothing sky can do about the fact you can pick up ARTs beam here.

Showing it in Pubs though is a different matter

wHoMe

14. Hairy

Hairy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I have the same question-Sky or Art-and after reading this thread I feel as if I'm getting somewhere!

I take it once it's all set up there is more then just Art available,right?

15. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Whilst that may be true, there could be pressure brought to focus the beam more so that you would need a gigantic dish and planning permission before being able to receive ART.

The more who see ART as an option (and evidence suggests this is growing daily) the day surely comes nearer when Sky/The Premier League will insist that ART stop this or face losing the rights.

It would be nice to think of Sky and the Premier league not being too worried about the financial implications and letting this continue now it is growing past the niche market it has been for a few years....

...but....This is Sky and the football authorities whose altruism and lack of interest in getting every penny out of customers is so well known.:)

16. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    The SPL have already started litigation against a Glasgow pub showing ART matches live.

Hollywood and the Film companies successfully forced Canal + and Filmnet to tighten up their card distribution in the 80's or lose all movie rights so it has been done before.

Remember ART & TPS etc have only bought the rights to broadcast to a specific geographic area and if they are not successfully restricting the sales of their cards to those areas they are in breach of their contract and could be turned off at source - i.e. the upload facilities in this country. You would have no come back as the cards terms and conditions indicate the regions for which use is acceptable.

17. arthurdentpc

arthurdentpc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    On the other hand, if the players didn't get paid such ridiculous salaries, the clubs wouldn't have to pay out so much. Then, the clubs and in turn the league wouldn't need to squeeze so much out of their TV contracts. In that case, Sky would then be able to charge a sensible price for their service, as opposed to the laughable sums they now expect. What is it now - £800 per year for Sky+ / HD ? Ridiculous.

But you know what ? They're all a shower of greedy, money grabbing leeches, and the only way it'll change is if people stop buying.

18. andykn

andykn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    An therein lies the problem. People demonstrated in the early 90's that they'd rather spend 400 quid on Prem league footy on Sky than a season ticket to go to their local Football League Club.

Sky had to bid the max they thought the market would stand or go out of business if they were outbid.

Because of the high sums coming in, Premiership clubs were prepared to pay anything to get the best players and almost anything to get the second best players. Hence the ridiculously high salaries.

Not all doom and gloom tho'. My club is now back in the Championship after a ten year absence and is getting gates of 9000 compared with 6000 during the last spell in a seson when we finished 13th. So it may be that Sky has been good for football generally, a concept I am still trying to get used to.

19. weeman2

weeman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +386
    Hi Guys

I have had the ART sports card since April (£82+£5 Del from ebay)

And i must say it is the best £87 I have spent::smashin:

What do you get:

All Prem Plus games

4,5,or 6 Live Prem games on a Sat at 3pm kick off.

SPL game at 2pm on Sundays (Or earlier KO)

1 or 2 Prem games on Sunday+the Monday night and midweek games as well.:eek:

All the above is in full english commentary.

Picture quality is OK a cross between VHS & DVD at good and bad times.

( I watch it on a Panny pwd7.)

Sound is OK on all channels except on art sport 2 A terrible crackling sound,very irritating.

All you need is Dish, LNB,Sat Box,& Card then point it to Hotbird 13E

Just to add i did not have a clue and was a complete novice (still am) when
    i ordered the gear to do it myself (read up on it first) it was pretty easy,difficult part was finding the Sat.

If you can move a dish and find the astra sat. (Sky) then you will be able to do it youself no probs.:D

If you are asking me is it worth it you better believe it is,best £87 i have spent in a long time.

Go on you know you want to.

Hope this helps.

George

PS

For upcoming games on ART this weekend try this.

http://liveonsat.com/british.php?st...t_yyyy=2006&end_dd=19&end_mm=10&end_yyyy=2006

20. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
  21. leeds1970

leeds1970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive just had art and digitalb fitted its great you get loads of fottball and good movies.
    the dish size is 90cm and you dont need planning for it go for it

22. sharper

sharper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If you want to watch footy then Art is OK. The picture is very VHS like and only in 4:3 not wide-screen, so very poor at best. If its a choice between watching it on Sky or Art i.e. the game is being shown on both. I would choose Sky every time as the picture quality is far better even in SD and in HD well enough said. Using Art is nice but in my case I would not bother with Art if I could get it all through Sky.

23. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Exactly the same here. If the 3.00 pm games were available via Sky (as in other countries) then most would not seek out these semi legal solutions. Yes, Sky would cost more but its the fact that the service just isn't there that makes people go with ART. Not the quality!

In an ever changing world I think Sky and the FA are going to have to think this through as ART is going to become an even bigger leach on their profits next season when many wake up to how much more they will have to pay to watch all the games they can today via Sky (paying extra to Setanta for the privilege).

Setanta will be charging £15 per month (minimum - thats what they charge now without the PL!) on top of what Sky charge. That will tip many more over the edge into buying ART.

24. suffolktoon

suffolktoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've got Sky HD plus premiership plus. I rarely watch anyone else but Newcastle. The ART card allows me to catch them most other times.

If Sky have a problem with that then tough. If I could guarantee that games were all played on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm I might just consider making the fortnightly trip again to the ground.

Their problem is they want everything their own way. No compensation is given out by them to supporters who buy the cheapest rail tickets, flights, rooms in advance only to find Sky and the greedy clubs decide to play the game on a different date. No consideration is given to fans who find they can't get a train home after the game because Sky have moved a game in London to a Monday night.

25. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Or, as in our case, a fan who was a 40 year long season ticket holder but is now physically incapable of travelling anywhere as she is bedbound. I get ART so that she can see more of her own club's matches. But I do so as well as paying SKY for all the games that they screen so that I dont feel we are doing anything wrong at all.

26. bugkid007

bugkid007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had art from the start of the season and it is the best 100 quid i have spent,the only bad thing is you dont get any international games.
    all in to get started it will cost you about 350 quid but go to satdudz and read up on this hobby first because once you get into it you will be hooked into being a sat pirate.

27. ian b

ian b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    I bought my system last september, it consists of a Technomate 1500ci, 88cm dish, lnb and motor. It cost me £210 delivered and i installed it myself.

Since then i havent had to pay anything to watch my team Manchester United play. Most Man U games are on TPS at 13e which has been hacked ever since ive had my system and TV8 Turkey at 42e shows Prem League games and that channel is FTA. The commentary is foreign but who's complaining when its free? There are also feeds for games which can be picked up with a motorised system.

28. johnwilliam1

johnwilliam1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the art card and never had any problems with it. I have had it in about 7 months, it shows all the the premiership matches, bought it for £99 for 12 months from satcards, i think if you like football this is the card, the picture is standard but watchable. I once had sky and i got fed up with paying the monthly bill, i have promised myself never again with sky. As far as films are concerned i watch english films sometimes on nilesat with 1.6mtr dish

29. ilk

ilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you will find that ART have lost the PL for next season, so Sky may be the only option next year (season 2007/8).

Ilk

30. rcaudwell

rcaudwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156

It would seem ART have lost PL for next season but that certainly doesn`t leave sky as the only option. Digitalb show a good selection of PL games every week and Premiere are also starting to release prepay card which seem quite reasonable and will surely find there way onto e-bay. That`s before you start thinking about the "other" ways you can watch EPL on Premiere, Canal +FR, TPS, D+ etc