1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky - Optimal Signal Strength & Quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Futski, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Futski

Futski
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have unfortunately only an old Pace Sky Box and have just up graded my tv to a Panasonic TX36PD30.

I am a bit disappointed with the sky picture quality and was wondering what the optimal signal strength and quality boxes should show and if by getting them above 50% would actually improve the picture or not.

Currently they are 50% and 40% respectively.

Would an increase make any difference what so ever.

The second question is, would Sky + with its Svideo out improve the picture quality ?

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Signal Strength doesn't really do much, but Signal Quality directly affects the picture quality. However, the indicators within digiboxes' Setup screens are notoriously inaccurate and the best way to check is with an installer's meter.

Also some digiboxes produce a better picture than others, Sky+ is supposed to be amoungst the best.

Signal Strength doesn't really do much, but Signal Quality directly affects the picture quality. However, the indicators within digiboxes' Setup screens are highly inaccurate and incomparable therefore the only way to accurately check Signal Quality and Strength is with an installer's meter.

It should be possible to get your current LNB realigned to get a higher Signal Quality, but if you get Sky+ you can make sure that it’s at 100% (or as near as possible) when they install the new dish and quad LNB.

Also some digiboxes produce a better picture than others; Sky+ is supposed to be amongst the best.

S-video would not be better than RGB that all digiboxes output, but would be better than composite or RF.

StooMonster