1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ optical out

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by father alice, Jul 28, 2005.

1. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just upgraded to sky+ using the £49 refurb offer posted here, and have a couple of queries before the installation, so I can get the necessary cabling in place.

1) Is the video scart output composite (PAL) only like the standard sky? I assume the TV scart is rgb / pal ?

2) The svideo output will output all the time, in addition to the two scarts (ie 3 outputs at the same time)?

3) Is The digital out optical only? - typically I only have a coax input free on my amp, so will require a convertor I guess, if so.

4) I belive the optical output is enabled in the menu, but do the scarts still output audio (ie for recording to vcr), and the L & R phonos still output analogue, when digital is selected in the menu?
    ( I wish to hook the svid and L & R audio up to my DVD recorder for archiving, but still be able to watch via rgb scart, and digital sound via my av amp - the sound and picture is routed through the amp via scart (and opt/coax digital) then onto the TV)

5) Do the old sky handsets work at all with sky+ (ie channel changing) - I have several sets upstairs via the magic eye, so will I need extra sky+ remotes?

6) The rf2 output will be whatever is playing on the box I presume, as opposed to being able to select a different channel - I would require multiroom for that?

7)If I hook up the old skybox upstairs (rather than paying the installer), using one of the free lnb outputs, I can only recieve the freesat channels (although I would not have a second viewing card, so even less I guess).
    If I wished to upgrade to multiroom, does it just require a call to sky to upgrade?
    Also, with a diy freesat as above, does the second box require a phoneline connection, or just when you get multiroom?

8) Assuming rgb is only from the TV scart, if I split this rgb output (I have a spare scart amplifier), can a vcr record from this rgb signal ? - obviously I realise the vcr is only composite, but just thought the signal to the vcr may be better transmitted as rgb than composite from the box to the vcr, ie the recorded picture may be slighty better?

Wow, what a lot of questions.!

Still, any advice greatly appreciated.

Last thing, any advice on best box to attempt to get - is the Amstrad still pants, or have the bugs been fixed?

And any preference on V1 or V2 Pace- if I upgrade the harddisk at some point, is there a preference (esp with the 17min bug I have heard about?)

Cheers, Ali

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    1) yes
    2) yes
    3) yes
    4) yes
    5) no, need plus remotes
    6) outputs the same, multiroom required
    7) need a freesat card for £20 to get freesat, otherwise just really basic bbc sky news etc. only a call needed to upgrade to multi, they will send a card. second box must be connected to phone line for multiroom.
    8) picture wont improve (video will ignore RGB part and just record the composite signal) and you'd need a booster anyway, js-tech do one.

i got an amstrad today and the picture seems perfect on both tv's, no probs so far. asked for a pace but he didnt have any.

v2 i think is better for upgrades, i got non refurb (new amstrad - not sure if new model) by the way best stay away from amstrad refurbs? may be older versions?

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Are you sure about that mate? There's only a single Sky code for my universal remote and that works the Sky+ just fine, I'll have to try it on the normal Sky tomorrow.

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    positive. got multiroom sky in my bedroom and sky+ on a scart/eye link from the lounge, and sky remote only works sky. very useful for me!

5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just checked again. come on chelsea!

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky+ handsets can be made to operate Sky boxes with a special key sequence, but not vice-versa.

7. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your question 4 didn't quite answer my query.

Does the optical out provide both DD and DS ??

Or will I still have to have an analogue sound connection for the non DD channels/programmes.

Thanks

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It carries all available sound :)

9. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I only have the toslink connected. All sound goes down in. I set my Yamaha to 5-channel stereo when programs are not coded in surround/DD.

I have Pace V2, and the only small issue is the movie channels are lower level to the rest of the line up... so I have to turn up/down when watching different channels.

Gareth.

10. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

Justy waiting for a longer Toslink to arrive.

11. father alice

father alice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your replies. Looking forward to a few hours behind the av rack, messing around with cables!

Ali