1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ onto DVD..???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by museumsteve, Jan 7, 2002.

1. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    can it be done..
    I've just had Sky+ installed (2 actually) and I'm already wondering how I lived without it. I'm now watching stuff I never bothered with before..it's great..
    My question is whether or not I could record from Sky+ onto DVD (with a DVD recorder obviously)..
    I'm not really interested in movies ('cos I have a lush DVD collection) but I wouldn;t mind finding out if it can be done..
    Anyone know..or anyone actually done it..
    Thanks in advance..

2. mart.stokes

mart.stokes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It can be done but, for the time being, only in the analogue domain. So the DVD recorder would just be recording in the same way as a video recorder (but it may be able to take the RGB feed).

There are some real smart guys out there who have/are thinking about taking the digital feed direct from the Sky box (to feed a projector) but this just causes standards problems if you want to record it (converting a digital picture signal to something the DVD recorder may understand, such as IEEE 1394, then there is the problem of getting the sound incorporated). It would be a lot of hassle.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had Sky+ installed (2 actually) !

Does this mean you pay £20 pcm instead of £10 for the single box?

I have also been thinking of getting a DVD Recorder, the Philips has RGB input but you cannot watch what you are still recording unlike the other one!

I think I'll wait 'till the price drops of both media and recorders. 4.7Gb will hold about an hour of tyop quality data apparently.

DaveP

4. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DaveP, Unfortunately I think you will have to pay £20!! The £10 for the sky+ "facilities" are for live pause and recording, on that particular box. If you paid one £10, then one box could record, the other would just be a shiny silver digibox with 5.1 output :(

As for the digital record, the only way I could see for now is to take the optical output to a HTPC with DVD-RAM, then author the DVD that way. However, as already said this will get complicated! Maybe someone with a DVD-RAM drive could try this ;)

5. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    yeah...I have to pay monthly:-

£34.99 normal Sky subscription
    £10 Sky+ features subscription

then extra for second box

£12.00 for duplicate full subscription
    £10 Sky+ features subscription..

I have one in the front room for the family and one in my movie room..it may seem a bit overkill, but I am so impressed with Sky+ anyway and looking forward to Dolby Digital programmes..

I'm not really a tecchie so didn;t really take into account the fact I'd need some kind of Digital recording ability on DVD Recorder..maybe I'll wiat until more choice is available..or one of you guys comes up with a plan..haha..

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2x£10?? Somehow I thought so :rolleyes:

Yep, the plus box is v good, would be excellent without the said jarring "£10/pm for wot?!"

Oh yes, the panasonic DVD recorder does record from analogue to dolby digital 2.0 - obviously not 5.1 surround sound, but should give pro-logic1 (!)

If you notice, the plus box has a socket for "future digital upgrades", digital video out perhaps?? But there again, the old box has a serial socket for planned upgrades, and nothing happened to that...

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve there maybe another way to do this. However you may need to be a bit of a PC techy. Here goes.

If you have a pretty good PC (800MHz P3 +), CD writer and TV in card, it is quite possible to output composite (possibly S-Video) and sound to your PC through the TV in Card (Haupauge make these). Then using some freeware tools you can create Video CDs (VCD) or Super VCD (SVCD). Most new DVD players will quite happliy play these. VCD is approximately Video quality SVCD is S-Video quality.

If you go to http://www.vcdhelp.com/

There is exhaustive detail on how to do this. You do need to be a bit of a PC head to do it but its a whole lot cheaper than a DVD recorder. Also since the DVD recorder format war is waging I would spend my cash on one until it is sorted.

Rog

8. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    :mad: I'm really annoyed coz i've jusy brought a DVD recorder and own a Tivo unit, i'm having similar troubles rcording from the Tivo onto DVD. Any ideas?

9. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What troubles exactly?

10. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The DVD records fine, but I can't watch somthing on the DVD at the same time (which I could when I tried recording from the TV with Tivo not installed).

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shoka, what model DVD Recorder are you using?

DaveP

12. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I'm using, the new Panasonic DMR E20EBS. Any ideas!

13. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Shoka, no suggestions but it does worry me because I was going to buy one of these recorders. I intend using it to archive stuff off my sky+ box. I assume it will have the same trouble as you are having with the Tivo.

Presumably it's something to do with the datstream coming from the AV input rather than the inbuilt tuner. Have you tried contacting Panasonic?

DaveP

14. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I tried to contact pannasonic, but got an automated email back saying they were looking into it. I havn't tried contacting Tivo yet, I thought I'd rack you lots brains first.