Sky One HD, Sky One and aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by glimmerung, Aug 31, 2007.

1. glimmerung

glimmerung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got the sky box set to output 1080i (though I've also tried auto), and I'm using component connections.

When I watch certain SD programs Sky one HD dispays them with black bars at the sides, while vanilla sky one stretches them out to fit the 16:9 of the TV (Pioneer 435xde)

Anyone know what's going on?

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've got the same problem with the same screen. It's to do with the fact that they're sending the picture in the correct aspect ratio with the black bars. This screen will only allow you to select wide or full as settings and, as it thinks the black bars are part of the picture, you can't use these settings to stretch the picture as normal.

You won't (I believe) be able to fix this on the HDMI input, you should be able to get around it by using rgb scart.

You'll also have the same problem watching movies on TCM as they tend to transmit widescreen in the format that requires the set to use Zoom mode to get the aspect ratio correct (same as what would happen if you used an non anomorphic dvd picture). That won't work either on the HDMI input.

It's not the same on all screens - this model Pio just doesn't deal with it very well.

3. alpine101

alpine101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Except of course it's *not* a problem. The picture should be shown with black bars since it's from a 4:3 source, not a widescreen one. This subject has been discussed many many times here. A quick search should find you other threads.

4. mmace

mmace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    both ways you are watching are incorrect, the Sky One HD version is close to 14:9 in a 16:9 frame meaning parts of the top & bottom are cut off, stretching on Sky One means the image is distorted, you should set to auto and use HDMI and watch Sky One so the black bars are there (thicker than Sky One HD) and watch things as they are intended to be viewed

5. glimmerung

glimmerung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I'm quite happy to have the black bars, but why on earth should I have to keep switching between HD and non HD channels? That's just daft.

On vanilla Sky One I can view these progs with the bars or stretched, it's up to me, but on Sky One HD...

Well, it's just a bit annoying.