Sky One goes widescreen this week.

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:cool: Sky One and Sky News are to start broadcasting in widescreen this week :) and about time to.
See here

Yes about time it seem silly the ones that invested in the technology to provide it have not used it to its full extent and only on the W/S movie channel and very limited.

anamorph or letterbox?

ad

Bun's

I should think it would be Anamorphic, else why bother.

Originally posted by buns
anamorph or letterbox?

ad
TMC does letter box:(

Good news,a step in the right direction,and not before time.

Maybe their will start broadcasting some of the US shows that have 5.1 soundtracks in 5.1 soon then. Good new about widescreen broadcasts and not before time.

Kev

Which show have 5.1 sound then? I have a sony box with optical out, maybe sky may think anout transmitting in 5.1 on sky one, I must be dreaming.

Originally posted by Timh
Kev

Which show have 5.1 sound then? I have a sony box with optical out, maybe sky may think anout transmitting in 5.1 on sky one, I must be dreaming.
I haven’t got a 5.1 processor yet so it does not bother me so far, and I believe you can’t record 5.1???????

Kev

I think you have to have the Sky+ box for it to work. Most modern films shown on Sky movies Premier are already being broadcast in 5.1. I can't remember which TV shows are in 5.1 but there is a list on the dolby website.:)

Here a few.

According to Jim
Alias
Dharma and Greg
My Wife and Kids
NYPD Blue
Spin City
The Drew Carey Show
The Practice
The Sopranos
Jeremiah
Leap Years
Odyssey 5
Queer as Folk
Street Time
The Chris Isaak Show

This link is to the full listing http://www.dolby.com/ht/pa.in.dtv5.1list.html

Cheer's Kev, i hadn't realised there were so many. :)

Bun's

I should think it would be Anamorphic, else why bother.

i have tried to find something definitive but so far failed.......

ad

Originally posted by kevb
I think you have to have the Sky+ box for it to work. Most modern films shown on Sky movies Premier are already being broadcast in 5.1. I can't remember which TV shows are in 5.1 but there is a list on the dolby website.:)
But can you record it in 5.1, and can your record it in 5.1 on a DVD recorder? And if not why not as you are recording a signal!

Originally posted by Garrett
But can you record it in 5.1, and can your record it in 5.1 on a DVD recorder? And if not why not as you are recording a signal!
As far as I know on a Sky+ box your recording will have the 5.1 soundtrack as it's a digital recording onto a hard disk.

DVD recorder I don't know about. If they can do it I supose it's possible if you had a Sky+ box but it would depend on the connections on the Sky+ box and the DVD recorder. You'd need some way other than a scart lead which would only pass an analog audio signal. You'd need to pass a digital signal to the recorder maybe via your amp if it had a digtal out, or bypass your amp and plug the sky+ boxes digital out directly into the DVD recorder. Don't really know much about them to be honest.

Video recorder the best you would get is prologic.

dvd recorders can't record 5.1 and it is said due to space restrictions on the disc.
WS is good news for many. I use to like a border effect even when without a WS tv for a more cinematic effect, daft perhaps but I never minded, so it'll be interesting to see what if any negatives are fielded. Let's just hope it isn't the usual half-dozen that complain and sway opinion for the majority.

not to offend any owners, but why bother with a dvd recorder if it cant do 5.1?

RE: size......are the consumer discs smaller than the ones which our pre recorded films are on? How come you can fit a computer ripped dvd onto a recodable dvd and not the recorder?

ad

The pre-recorded ones are stamped and recorded in a 'non-live' setting which allows for greater data transfer. Ripped dvds have extras, menus and title stops removed and just the film left as a linear file often - or so I'm told. And not all see 5.1 as the be all and end all of life:p :D

Originally posted by encaser
The pre-recorded ones are stamped and recorded in a 'non-live' setting which allows for greater data transfer. Ripped dvds have extras, menus and title stops removed and just the film left as a linear file often - or so I'm told. And not all see 5.1 as the be all and end all of life:p :D

i dont either, just i see it as one of dvds most important features. I still have to say that, like recordable cd, recordable dvd will find itself superceeded before it matures.

ad

not to offend any owners, but why bother with a dvd recorder if it cant do 5.1?

:confused:

er... to record TV programmes and be able to watch them in 'near perfect' picture quality and access recordings quicker and easier.

... to archive personal VHS tapes for posterity.

...Space saving reasons, disks rather than loads of tapes.

etc etc..
like recordable cd, recordable dvd will find itself superceeded before it matures.

:confused:

And just what has superceded recordable CD?

minidisc and MP3 have both got a stronger hold than recordable cd.

you cant record and watch in near pefect quality! well i couldnt! the tv or sky signal i have is not perfect to start with! With a good vhs recording, i could make a copy that was as good as the original..... can accept space saving arguement, but even it breaks down if we are considering hard disc recorders.....

ad

minidisc and MP3 have both got a stronger hold than recordable cd.

I would have to disagree with that one Buns. Minidisc is clearly on it's way out and never really got established in the first place. If anything MP3 has superceded Minidisc rather than CDR - due to the introduction of personal MP3 players. I would also argue that MP3 does not have a stronger hold than CDR but rather, it compliments it and indeed boosted CDR's popularity. After all, what do most people end up doing with their MP3's......burning them to CDR that's what.

With a good vhs recording, i could make a copy that was as good as the original.....

How can you possibly do this? VHS recordings have a vastly decreased resolution to the original recording - even SVHS cannot match the original.

According to latest research, apparently MP3 hasn't lived up to high expectations for various reasons, minidisc is on a second wind.
MP3 will disappear first.... ( says me :cool: ).

Originally posted by groundy

I would have to disagree with that one Buns. Minidisc is clearly on it's way out and never really got established in the first place. If anything MP3 has superceded Minidisc rather than CDR - due to the introduction of personal MP3 players. I would also argue that MP3 does not have a stronger hold than CDR but rather, it compliments it and indeed boosted CDR's popularity. After all, what do most people end up doing with their MP3's......burning them to CDR that's what.

[/b]

How can you possibly do this? VHS recordings have a vastly decreased resolution to the original recording - even SVHS cannot match the original. [/B]

I am taking what i have been told. I know loads of members who have minidisc and mp3, few have cdr in comparison.

The vchs record quality. Maybe i just managed to get good recordings. Frankly, given that i wont watch a tv broadcast through my system, i wouldn't watch a recording of a tv broadcast, even if it was on dvd!

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom