1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky One bandwidth

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bccsl, Jan 12, 2005.

1. bccsl

bccsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does anyone know if sky are doing something strange with sky one.
    I have sky+ and for about the last week when I record a programme from sky one it uses about twice the amount of disk space it used to i.e. a one hour show is using about 10%, whereas it used to be 5 or 6. I currently have the standard 40gig disk installed and none os the other channels seem affected. I can record a two hour DD film from Movies one and it only uses about 12%.
    Any thoughts

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Without any concrete insider knowledge it's "logical" to assume that they are reducing the compression which improves the picture quality, more noticeable to those with larger screens and/or flat panel displays.

If this is the case then it's very welcome, I don't think anyone would say that UK digital broadcasts (with the odd exception) have lived up to the hype in terms of picture quality considering that the same system is used on DVD.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky use a variable bit rate, so they can "borrow" bandwidth from other channels in the multiplex if the need arises. You didn't say what the programme was, but if there's lots of fast movement and lots of camera angle changes, that will make extra demands on the bandwidth.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The increase is across the board, most noticeable when the last dozen 63min recordings each use 9% of a standard 40gig drive.

5. bccsl

bccsl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Starburst, well I'm pleased it's not just me. I can't say I've noticed any real improvement in picture though. I was wondering if it may be some kind of bandwidth tests for HiDef, or is it possibly a fault and as well as all the programme data we are recording all of sky active at the same time. As you say it's across the board on everthing recorded from sky one. I recorded 'The sight' last Saturday and it ate up a massive 16% of a 40gig disk.

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    From what it seems, current sky satellites will NEVER handle the bandwidth for HiDef. The US has just launched 2 (with 2 to come), $250million satellites to cope with the data. I doubt if Sky has the equivalent of 1/5 of just one of these satellites, given the current picture quality across the board....

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    $ky don't own any satellites at all.
    They rent spectrum/channels on them from SES in Luxembourg who own the Astra satellites.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    High Def is only going to be a limited service, at least for the first decade.
    Expect only half a dozen channels at launch (Movies, Sports, SKY1 and PPV) and since SKY is expected to use mpeg4 or another "modern" codec the bandwidth requirments are not that much higher than the current SKY1 spec that is being reported.

With a modern codec you are looking at 3 High Def channels per transponder, maybe even 4 depending upon the preformance of the codec with PQ that will be simply stunning.

9. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a Pioneer 434 HDE and haven't watched Sky1 because the PQ was so bad. With all this talk of increased bit rates I have just finished watching Stargate Atlantis and am happy to report the PQ was markedly better. Far less soft and no noticeable mpeg compression artefacts!! Almost DVD quality :thumbsup:

Well done Sky....Are they finally starting to realise that Pq is important. I for one will be emailing Sky to congratulate them and to balance the inevitable complaints from people complaining about the loss of disk space (seen already by some people on digital spy forums) It would be a travesty if they reduced bit rates because of these complaints!!