Sky+ on the cheap...?

RostokMcSpoons

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been keen on getting Sky+ for some time, but my darling beloved wife (who is actually the person who watches most telly, AND complains the most when I stay up late to watch something worthwhile) has always baulked at the cost: we're existing customers, so as I understand it I'm looking at £260 inc installation.

So... in light of this £49 Sky+ box at Argos is there light at the end of my particular tunnel?

Do I just....

1) buy the box for £49
2) buy a quad LNB
3) ask my local tv expert to fit the lnb and run the extra cable
4) phone Sky and ask them to turn on the record facility

...?

In which case - please recommend where to get the LNB from, and which model. How much should I expect to pay for that and the installation too?
(The cable run is from back of the house around the outside wall to the front, I'm guessing 12-15 metres?)

And if anyone knows an installer in/near Milton Keynes that'd be cool too ;)

(Apologies if these questions have already been answered - I did run a search first, honest!)

sorry to [masked swearing removed] on your cornflakes but what you'll find is that most big retailers ie argos, dixons etc now don't sell sky plus instore-instead you pay 49 squid instore followed by the rest to sky when you call to book installation.

Read board rules on acceptable use of language-moderator.

Have you considered saving yourself a fortune and doing the install yourself, it's a piece of cake? As long as you are careful replacing the LNB. If it does need re-aligning it'll be cheaper to get a local independent to do that than the whole install. Cost it and way up the pro's and con's.

Skyware (SkyWare SX719QS/S - which Sky use) Quad LNB about £15 - £25 From Ebay. Retailers sell this one at anything up to £60+.

15m of cable aroumd 60p/m you may get it cheaper.

Look here for all the tips/advice and an idea of prices:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/index.html

Hope it helps and good luck

This is a bit of a misleading offer from argos i feel. It doesn't state whether the dish installation is included in the 49 price. I'm sure that the 49 is just a deposit and then sky arrange the delivery/installation of box and dish.

It'd be great if these boxes were being sold for 49 quid, but i really doubt argos will undercut most cheap websites shifting them at 150 quid +.

After reading the offer again it doe say installtion price is included for new customers, this means it is cheaper than the 99 offer on the sky website. Although it doesnt mention anything about first month free/3 months half price like the sky offers.

Oh *bleep*

I naievely assumed that paying £49 to Argos would mean I'd be carrying out a Sky+ box from the shop. I realised that it wouldn't include the installation, but now I'm not sure if the £49 actually buys me the digibox itself, cos that's what I'm after.
If that's just effectively a part-payment voucher from the shop, it's a real downer, and back to ebay I go :(
Just to make it clear - I *do* already have a dish, cos I'm an existing customer, hence not eligible for the nice discounts etc they offer new customers :mad:
But I do already pay for a premium package, so I'll be 'spared' the extra £10 a month.

Anyway, thanks for the rest of the advice. I'll be sure to take a look at Satcure.co.uk, I've seen them recommended before here

(edited)

As long as you are comfortable up with your dish, it's easy. As a custom installer we do this bit quite a lot, as Sky usually send a couple of primates around to nail some wire to the wall of our customer's million pound houses otherwise. I have little doubt you'll do a better job than many sky installers.

On a side note... I do manage to source a Sky+ box from somewhere (and presumably a PACE v2 is the one to get, if at all possible), would I be able to sell my existing digibox for very much money? I can't remember what the make and model is, it's quite a recent replacement from Sky for an old Amstrad unit that was pretty crap (v slow channel listing, and it locked up occasionally)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom