Sky on second tv (wireless) - troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by grahambanes, Apr 5, 2005.

1. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bought an AV Sender and have set it up with the intention of watching Sky on a second television upstairs. It sends the picture fine, and looks great - but the picture upstairs is a mirror of whatever is on the television downstairs; it's not specifically displaying Sky.

This means that I can't watch terrestrial tv downstairs and watch Sky upstairs; as whatever is on the tv downstairs is mirrored on the one upstairs.

I think this is to do with my system setup - if that's the case, I'm not entirely sure as to how I can alter my setup so it works correctly.

Downstairs, my aerial goes into the Sky digibox. Aerial out on my digibox goes to the VCR aerial in; the VCR aerial out goes to the television aerial in. Scart leads follow the same setup, with the scart running from digibox to VCR, and VCR to TV.

Presumably this is why the picture is the same - whatever is seen on the main downstairs television has to go through the digibox first; so the output from the box isn't necessarily sky - it might be a terrestrial image. Am I right?

And regardless, are there any suggestions as to how I can get this working?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Could you supply a bit more info? Specifically:
    1) make and model of your AV sender, digbox and TV (number and type of SCART's etc would be useful too)
    2) details of where it sits in the chain of components as you don't mention this in your post
    3) You say that you're feeding the SCART and aerial into the VCR and through that to the TV. Are you refering to the VCR SCART of the digibox (meaning you're also connected to your TV from the digiboxes TV SCART), or are you feeding the TV out of the digibox into the VCR?

3. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, of course - thanks for your quick reply!

The digibox is an Amstrad DRX100.
    The wireless sender is a Philex Electronics 27988R.
    The television is a 28" widescreen Sanyo CE-28FWN3-B.
    The VCR is a Thorn VR212LXA.

The set-up is as follows. It's a bit of a spaghetti junction, so I've tried to decipher it as best as I can; please let me know if you want me to check anything else.

A lead runs from the aerial socket in the wall into the digibox Aerial In. Then the digibox RF-Out-1 goes to the VCR 'aerial'*, RF-Out-2 is not in use.

The VCR is a bit odd, it's got a weird hole with a vertical arrow next to it saying CHANNEL and 32 at the top of the arrow and 40 at the bottom. Don't know if that's significant. Below left of this odd whole is the aerial in from the digibox, above left is RF Out which leads to the television "ANT.75ohm" - the only aerial socket on the telly.

With regard to scart leads, the digibox has two scart sockets - one called VCR scart which is empty/not in use, and another which says TV scart. A lead runs from TV scart into the sender box. The sender box has another scart lead running out of it, and this splits into three red/white/yellow audio and video cables that plug into the sender itself. A third lead runs out of the sender box and plugs into TV's AV1 socket.

On the VCR, AV1 scart is empty. AV2 scart socket has a scart lead running into AV2 of the television.

I hope this has made (some) sense...! Any indications as to what I'm doing wrong would be hugely appreciated.

4. jugginsdarren

jugginsdarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I use a Phillips Video sender.

All you need to do is connect the transmitter box to your Sky Box, normally they use a through Scart socket - basically this will connect into your TV Scart out on the back of the sky box and then you plug your normal scart to your tv into it.

You now have the sky feed to be transmitted to the receiver box (where ever you decide to put it).

You should now be receive the picture form sky (where ever your box is and also change channels)

You can then also watch your normal terestrial ariel on your downstairs TV.

Remember the sender is just that, its transmitting a picture from what ever source you put it into, to somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Darren

5. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help. I'll connect the digibox directly to the sender, then. Does that mean I should connect the VCR to the "VCR scart" on the digibox instead of the "TV scart", then connect the "TV scart" to the sender?

EDIT: The digibox is directly connected to the sender already. 'TV Scart' on digibox connects to sender, sender connects to scart socket on TV. So the sender is relaying the signal of what goes from the digibox to the telly. I assume that's the problem, and that's why it's mirroring what's on the main television?

Should I connect the 'TV Scart' on the digibox to the television without the sender, and then the 'VCR Scart' directly to the sender? Or should I connect the 'TV Scart' on the digibox to the sender directly, and the 'VCR Scart' on the digibox to the video... then connect the video and TV together by a scart cable? I'm trying to troubleshoot here, too, so I may be way off...

6. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    could you clarify the inputs & outputs of the sender for me? (I had a look on Philex's website but couldn't find that model number)

If I'm reading what you've written correctly, there's 1 SCART output on the sender, 1 input SCART which is currently connected to the TV SCART of the digibox, and 1 input SCART to which you've currently got a composite video (yellow phono) and stereo audio (red and white phono) to SCART lead connected (to which you don't have anything connected?)?

7. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are two parts to the sender - the actual transmitter thing that sends the signal, and a separate box (aka 'sender box') that all the SCARTs go into.

There's an input SCART on the sender box which is currently connected to the TV SCART on the digibox. There's a SCART lead coming out of the sender box, and this lead transforms into composite video and stereo audio cables which then plug into the sender itself. There's also a SCART output from the sender box, which is currently connected to the television's AV1 socket.

8. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right, in that case based on what you've said above, I'd recommend trying the following:

VCR AV1 -> sender SCART input
    sender SCART output -> TV AV2
    digibox VCR SCART -> VCR AV2
    digibox TV SCART -> TV AV1

This way round you should be able to:
    a) Watch VCR upstairs while watching Sky or terestrial on your main TV (although you'll probably have to re-select AV1 or the terestrial channel you were watching after you start playing the VCR)
    b) Watch Sky upstairs by selecting the AV2 input on your VCR

However, you wouldn't be able to watch Sky upstairs while watching something on the VCR.

9. bspks

bspks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed this thread & I think there is some confusion with the scart connections.
    I think you will find that the scart input & output sockets are probably reversed, e.g. the output refers not to the actual sender but the output of whatever source you connect to the sender therefore it is the output of the TV that is being transmitted at present with whatever you are watching being relayed to your 2nd set.
    Try swapping the input & output scart plugs over.

10. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've set it up as you suggested, but - unfortunately - it's still mirroring whatever is on the TV downstairs.

Although I think maybe I'm missing out b) - how, exactly, do I select the AV2 input on my VCR? It's all plugged in and set up as you suggested, do you mean that there should be an AV button on my VCR remote or something? If so, there's not.

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a 2 or 3 way scart splitter,
    plug the scart plug on the splitter into tv out on the digi box,
    this will give you 2 or three extra connections,then plug the digi sender into one of the scart sockets, plug the vcr into another spare outlet on the splitter then scart to scart lead to the tv from the video.
    Upstairs then connect the receiver to the av input on tv.
    The main aerial lead should go into the digibox then to the video then to the downstairs tv.
    You can now watch sky upstairs and analouge downstairs and vice versa if you have an aerial upstairs.
    This way the sky is switched through the video for the ground floor tv or if you have a couple of scart inputs on the tv go direct from the scart splitter.
    Phew!

12. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There probably won't be a specific AV channel button, but if you cycle through the channels using your channel up/down buttons you should go through all your tuned terestrial channels and other devices connected to the SCARTs and any other connections your VCR might have.

You may also need to change your VCR's set-up so that it knows it's got a digibox connected - I had to do this on mine (although that was primarily to sort out a picture quality issue rather than hrough not being able to receive a signal)

13. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    grahambanes

There seems to be a lot of confusion here so the best thing that you could do would be to explain what exactly you want to achieve in terms of viewing?

For example do you want to have a choice of both analogue and sky reception on your tv upstairs or do you also want the facility to watch videos?

14. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With regard to scart leads, the digibox has two scart sockets - one called VCR scart which is empty/not in use, and another which says TV scart. A lead runs from TV scart into the sender box.
    ------------------------------------------

This is why it mirrors the tv!

You need the source going into the transmitter not the tv out.

15. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    connect the Tv out from digibox to input on sender, connect output on sender to av input on Tv. connect vcr out on digibox to input on vcr, connect (if you have one) output from vcr to alternative av input on Tv (all via scart). Now if you cycle through your av inputs on the Tv you should see the digibox picture on one and the picture from the vcr on the other, obviously dependent on how many av inputs you have on the Tv downstairs? Upstairs you should have the receiver connected directly into the av scart input. Now that will allow you to view Sky upstairs. To view analogue Tv you should have your outside Tv aerial connected as you would normally if you didn't have Sky. When you select channel one on either Tv dowstairs or upstairs you should get BBC1 regardles wether or not Sky is connected. If you want to view Sky on either Tv then as said it's a case of selecting the correct av channel on either Tv. Also it might be the case that you have scart control enabled so when you switch on the digibox it will automatically go to whichever av channel you have it connected to. let us know how you're getting on? By the way there is not really any need to have the digibox connected via Rf, as long as the oustide Tv aerial is connected into the vcr and then in turn to the Tv everything should be ok? Famous last words?

16. grahambanes

grahambanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great! It works! Thank you to everyone who contributed in helping to solve the problem. :D

17. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got there in the end, that's what it's all about at the end of the day :thumbsup:

18. jonf

jonf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a 32pf9986, sky+ and the philips video sender. If I set the scart out to the video sender and then route the out to my 32pf9986, will I get loss of signal? will the tv still auto adjust for picture size?
    - it did not auto adjust with my last TV so have stopped using it.
    thanks in advance