1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY+ on NTL ? is it possible?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by RedGBarn, Jul 6, 2004.

1. RedGBarn

RedGBarn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there anyway I can create the equivalent of SKY+ but for my poor old NTL box. IE: is there a HDD recorder than can control the NTL box when in timer mode

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Tivo? You can buy a device to enable a tivo recorder to control a pace NTL box. 2nd hand Tivos are easy to buy.

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    for info, I signed up to Telewest yesterday and asked if they were ever bringing out an equivalent to sky+ and was told that they'd just started work on a product. No timing given, but in the pipeline...

4. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If/When the Philips HDRW720 HD/DVD recorder appears in the UK, it will be able to control NTL STBs with the GuidePlus EPG system.

It has been reported that the Toshiba RD-XS32 can control the NTL STBs.
    Both the above recorders will require the use of a Red-Eye translator with some NTL STB models.

5. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    So what are the main advantages of that over a normal HDD/DVD? I assume you can't record one channel whilst watching another?

6. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only difference is the ability of the HD/DVDR to select the channel on the STB, for unattended recording.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Is that a major issue then?

I was just wondering as normally you can set the NTL box up to auto tune to the channels you want to watch if when unattended...assuming of course the EPG is working correctly..which is very rare..although it only has a three day event so its no good if you are away for a week!

8. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So has any UK NTL cable members here who have not gone the Tivo route achieved a minimum fuss system to recording in advance?

I am wishing to buy a HD/DVDR, but want to get something that is easy with regards to recording in advance from my NTL Pace Di4010 box.

If I have to use the 3 day NTL EPG, as well as the HD/DVDR EPG then so be it. But am interested to hear how others on this forum are going about it.

Has anyone had sucess with the Philips GuidePlus and NTL?

What about a non Tivo PVR solution with NTL, do these exist?

9. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    GuidePlus should work, via the Red-Eye translator. DVDR80 users have reported varying success at obtaining and installing the latest version of the Philips DVDR80 firmware, which is supposed to support the NTL/Telewest channel line-ups, but it is reported to be useable even without this - you just have to set up the channel numbers manually. More info at www.redremote.co.uk/dvdr80.html
    Hopefully Philips will have got this sorted out when the HDRW720 appears in the UK.

10. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Philips HDRW720 out anywhere yet?

I see it is now on the Philips website.

Has anyone seen a review for it yet? I vaguely remember seeing a review for it, which slated it, but I couldnt find it again. I've seen so many reviews recently that I may be getting confused with another model.

11. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. bill millet

bill millet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks :) , I'll hold out and wait and see what sort of reviews they get, and whether users confirm that GuidePlus+ works nicely with this box and an NTL box.

13. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still think that today, the best option for NTL users is Tivo.

I have had it for more than 2 years, it is superb. Even my Finance Manager thinks so. ;-)

Why?

1. Season Pass, I tell the Tivo what programmes I like and it records every new episode, if there is a clash between two programmes in the next three weeks it looks at alternative showing times, and reschedules if possible - otherwise it asks me what should take priority.

2. Suggestions, Tivo learns what you like to watch, and then records other programmes when it is not doing anything that you may like.

3. I can set up wishlists, based on Actors names, Directors names or keywords so that if I want to catch anything related on any channels, it will do so.

4. I have the Tivo connected to the Internet, and I can program recordings from any Internet terminal.

I rarely watch live TV anymore although if I do the pause and rewind feature is great when the phone rings! Skipping through adverts is also a godsend.

The fact that twin tuners are not available doesn't really affect my viewing. Control of the NTL box is reliable, and I don't use the NTL remote at all.

You can buy boxes from www.tivoland.com, as well as ebay. Customer Services are run by Sky (I called them once to subscribe).

www.tivocommunity.com has more advice than you will ever need.

Many friends have Sky+, and still marvel at what Tivo can do. :thumbsup:

James