1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky on my PC

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by albany, Oct 22, 2003.

1. albany

albany
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if this has been asked before but am short of time this evening and have not done a search.

Is there any solution that would allow me to watch Sky on my PC and have full access to functions such as freeze live tv etc... ?Somebody just suggested to me that a Philips VL1000 recorder may do the trick. I have no idea and currently have cable through a set top box.

I have a standard ATI 9800 graphics card with VI and TV out.

Many thanks for any assistance.

2. Sarah_UK

Sarah_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can access freeview channels on my Satellite PCI Card on my PC.
    Also Sky Digital: Sky News, Eurosport etc. If I turn the dish away from Sky Digital I can also pick up a few (German I think) MTV channels for free.

I cannot access any of the 'pay' channels though on Sky Digital , e.g MTV Dance, Sky Sports etc. Although all of them are listed in the EPG.

Other than a 'LOOP THROUGH' from your Sky Digibox into the Satellite PCI Card on your PC (I don't know if this is possible) there isn't a way to run a CI that supports Sky Digital on a PC Directly ,as you need a Digibox.

You can ofcourse use a CI slot in a PCI Satellite card, but this gets you Pay Per view channels only, not Sky Digital

Thanks

Sarah.

3. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a PINNACLE PCTV Sat and can all BBC and TCM only
    I can record the MPEG2 broadcast stream direct to HDD (just have to use a utility called PVAstrumento to convert the saved MPG file from the broadcast Transport Stream to programme Stream (takes a minute a or two depending on programme length).. then you have a MPEG2 file that you can watch or burn to DVD !
    I bought this card as it has a lop through so I can put it in series with one of the feeds to my Sky+ box, but this means I can only record on EITHER the PC or the Sky+ (PC takes priority as it's further upstream to the LNB and it takes priority in switching the the LNB to the channel IT wants)
    Can only pick up the FTA BBC channels as they're no longer part of the Sky subscription package

Nebula electronics in UK have a PC card already for Terrestrial which picks up all FTA includ ITV, Ch 4 etc
    They're developing a Sat version too which may have a CAM module for Videocrypt but thsi would only allow reception of the other FTA channels (ITV etc) but NOT the protected SKY channels (movies, sports, entertainment) as Sky won't licence their system to anyone

Steve