Sky on Demand set up help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mjhickey, Feb 25, 2013.

1. mjhickey

mjhickey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I want to set up Sky demand using my existing BT router, my present set up is that my BT router is located next to my PC in my upstairs study, my sky box and tv are located in my downstairs lounge, my router is set up with a netgear wireless adapter to enable wireless reception for other items in the house and reception is ok, a telephone line is connected to the sky box in the lounge, my thoughts are that I relocate the BT router and connect to the downstairs sky box using an ethernet connection, do I need to have the telephone line connected to the Router and the sky box together or only to the router in and ethernet out.

Many thanks

2. SirTiger007

SirTiger007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Hi

On Demand only requires an Ethernet connection to your router. For full connectivity it does need the phoneline as well though.

Another option is to buy a wireless adapter for your sky box from sky. I think they're about £20 and will be available on the Upgrade page of your My Sky. Might be easier than moving the router.

Good luck!

3. SirTiger007

SirTiger007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    I didn't mean "connectivity", I meant "interactivity" but the iphone app doesn't let me edit my posts!! I don't have my sky box connected to the phoneline and on demand works fine. You only need the phone line for buying films from the Sky Store and the services on the Interactive button.

4. mjhickey

mjhickey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks ST007 for reply, think I will go buy the box advice , for £20 not worth the bother of upheaval of the router

5. lowmans100

lowmans100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    I use powerline adaptors for my Sky box, no need to move anything just connect ethernet via your existing house wiring.

6. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    I would avoid the Sky wireless connector as it is very flaky - check out the Sky forums where there are literally thousands of complaints about its stability. Best to use homeplugs or search the bay for a wireless bridge

7. mjhickey

mjhickey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys, relocated my router to downstairs telephone line that runs to the sky box to make sure it worked ok before connecting to the box, the blue power and broadband lights came on ok but not the wireless light, had connected with dsl but already have one at the main phone socket, extention off this to sky box, at this point had the good lady jumping up and down wanting to watch tv, replaced and will try another day when she is out.