Sky+ on a TV with built in Freeview?

A

AngelaW

Hi

My parents are looking for a new telly and have told us we can have their old one when they're done with it. It's a Sony (sorry, don't know the model) and has built in Freeview.

We've just had Sky+ installed, so if we were to take this TV from my parents, would the Sky+ "override" the Freeview bit of the telly? I ask this because my dad was told he wouldn't be able to record on his HDD recorder from Freeview unless he was watching it at the same time, so I don't know if this would impact on Sky+.

Any advice would be appreciated, as we currently have a telly that's bobbins, so a nearly new Sony would go down a treat! :D

TIA

Angela

cerebros

What your dad was told was to do with the fact that, since presumably he didn't have a standalone Freeview box as well, to record from the TV's Freeview tuner the TV would have to be on and tuned to a Freeview channel in order to be able to send the TV signal to the HDD recorder.

There won't be any impact on the Sky+ as that will record from its own tuners.

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Angela. Your Sky+ comes in from your Sky Dish outside. Freeview comes in from your aerial outside. All you need to do is plug the aerial lead from the normal RF aerial into the TV's aerial in to recieve Freeview. The leads from the sky dish will already be connected to your Sky+ box, so you need to connect this to the TV in normal way you do now (SCART connection I pressume?).

To watch Freeview all you need turned on is the TV itself. To watch Sky you need the TV and the Sky+ box on, and you need to set the TV to the input channel of the Sky+ box (lets say AV1 for arguments sake)

So no, having a Freeview TV will not impact your Sky and vice versa.

And as above, to record Freeview onto a HDD recorder or DVD recorder, the TV needs to be on, and on the channel you want to record. The TV also needs to be connected to a DVD or HDD recorder via scart aswell.....

JayCee

Distinguished Member
TV would have to be on and tuned to a Freeview channel in order to be able to send the TV signal to the HDD recorder.

There won't be any impact on the Sky+ as that will record from its own tuners.

But it may well impact on the OP viewing their Sky+ as when the Sony TV is outputting its Freeview signal to a DVDR for recording it is locked to that channel like a few IDTVs are...this will not matter if the OP does not intend to record the Freeview signal from it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom