Sky+ on 3rd floor flat

gers1978

My sister gets Sky+ installed tomorrow. She lives on the 3rd floor of some flats (which is the top floor).

At the time I booked her installation I clicked the bit on the Sky site to say she lived in a 3rd floor flat, and they did say she MAY incurr extra charges cos of this.

They also said IF there were extra charges, she would be informed of them first and given the chance to cancel.

This was all 1 week ago, and she's had numerous e-mails and welcome packs, etc, but nothing to say about an extra charge.

So now we're at the day before install, is it safe to assume they'll be no extra charge, or will the installer only tell her about on the day of the install, once he sees the job.

Any ideas how much extra it would be? Although it's 3rd floor, they're really not that high, and the old dish that someone had before her is actually installed level with the bottom of her balcony (so effectively the same height as the top of the 2nd floor, not the top of the 3rd floor).

SeanMc172

Banned
Could you let me no the outcome of this as i am intressted in getting sky + and live on the third floor apartment and we use a shared dish many thanks
Sean

ian-d

Sky wouldn't be able to inform you of additional costs until they've seen the work! The installer tomorrow will inform you if additional costs are incurred and give you the option. By the sounds of it, providing a ladder larger than he has is not needed, and that the area to work is safe enough from the balcony etc then there shouldn't be additional cost.

gers1978

Looking at it, and where the previous dish is, it would seem you don't even need a ladder - the dish can be installed/removed from the balcony without even leaning over (the existing old dish is actually attached to the balcony), and all the cables run INSIDE the balcony, and into the house.

ian-d

Should be ok then but thats at the disgression of the installer, health and safety first etc.

gers1978

Ok, but if she DOES incurr an extra charge, I don't want her getting ripped off by some 3rd party cowboy aerial engineer - what kinda price should she be looking at?

And if the price seems high, should she phone the guy's company and/or Sky and confirm if it's reasonable?

UKDanny666

Standard Member
Hey there,
i had to get an independant installer to install my sky+.
He charged me £130 for dish and box, this also involved him going up to the 4th floor of a converted terraced house (as this is where my flat is), i would assume that this would be the same cost for many indepedants

gers1978

Well she's already paid Sky £129 for the Sky+ box and installation

skytecbvmo

You won't and can not be charged by any installer anymore all installs cable brackets ect no matter how long are inc so if you are asked to pay don't and phone sky :)

gers1978

Well it was Sky's website when I booked the installation that said, after I clicked to say it was a 3rd floor flat, I may incurr an additional charge & that I'd be informed before work commenced if this was the case and given the option to refuse and cancel.

skytecbvmo

Well it was Sky's website when I booked the installation that said, after I clicked to say it was a 3rd floor flat, I may incurr an additional charge & that I'd be informed before work commenced if this was the case and given the option to refuse and cancel.

Well you asked iv'e told you this is why i left sky has a subbie no money in the job anymore :(
You can not be charged by any installer but you can give a tip :)

gers1978

Why can't they charge you?

Moot point now, my sister phoned to say the guy had arrived and was presently drilling a hole through the wall as we spoke. He never mentioned anything about extra charges, so even if he did now, she'd say "poke it" since he'd started working first!

skytecbvmo

Just a new rule sky came out with jan this year good thing too .To many cowboys ripping joe public off made it bad for the better installers.

gers1978

Any links? Sky's web site definitely told me last week that she may incurr additional installations costs but that they wouldn't do any work till she agreed to these.

gers1978

Also just in case anyone was wondering, the guy has been and gone, no extra charge, Sky+ up & running ok. He used the existing old minidish that the previous occupant had left

She told me when she goes into TV Guide, there's nothing assigned to the red button (i.e. where it should say Sky Anytime), so I'm guessing she'll have to do a forced update?

skytecbvmo

Also just in case anyone was wondering, the guy has been and gone, no extra charge, Sky+ up & running ok. He used the existing old minidish that the previous occupant had left

She told me when she goes into TV Guide, there's nothing assigned to the red button (i.e. where it should say Sky Anytime), so I'm guessing she'll have to do a forced update?

He should of done the update if you don't know how to do it power down the box hold the back up button in re power up keeping back up button in till all four led light up.
And get ur sis to check if he's sealed the hole and he ain't blowen the brick in two if so claim off sky cowboys :(

ian-d

If the engineer has not done a software update before anything else, get on to Sky and tell them, they have been asked to ensure always to do a software update first. Also, if you have no anytime, you may have been supplied with an old version of box, not brand new. Launch a thread asking what version you have based on the serial number, or do a search.

If the engineer has not done a software update before anything else, get on to Sky and tell them, they have been asked to ensure always to do a software update first. Also, if you have no anytime, you may have been supplied with an old version of box, not brand new. Launch a thread asking what version you have based on the serial number, or do a search.

It is next to impossible to determine box type from serial number - you need the "Version number" - go to "Services" "System setup" "System details" - quote us the manufacturer, VErsion number and EPG software version, i.e the first, third and bottom lines.

Manufacturer: Thomson
Version Number: 4E2124
EPG: Sky+4.20.a

Thomson PVR3 - so Anytime compatable, which will probably downlpad to the box within 5 to 6 days and go to the current EPG version 5.0.2

gers1978

Am I right in saying then I have the latest box, and I don't need to do a forced update to get Anytime?

Cheers

Am I right in saying then I have the latest box, and I don't need to do a forced update to get Anytime?

Cheers

Yes you have the latest model box BUT not the Anytime software yet. You could try a forced download which may or may not update to latest version which should download to your box automatically within 5 to 6 days.

There are two different download streams for all Sky boxes - the Forced and the Automatic streams. Forced downloads only download the latest "stable" version of software (not always the latest version) this is to enable those who have a software problem to revert to the latest stable version.

The latest video from AVForums

Bowers PI7 wireless in-ear headphones review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Technics launches SL-1200MK7 DJ turntable in silver
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launch PI7 and PI5 True Wireless headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Technics introduces affordable SL-100C turntable
  • By Andy Bassett