• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky on 2 xbox's?

craigtellis

Standard Member
Can anyone please tell me if you can have sky on 2 xbox's to watch at the same time? I've seen conflicting answers over at the sky forums so thought maybe someone here could help?
I know its as simple as trying it but at the moment i have my sky linked to 1 xbox and 1 ipad, i dont really want to remove it from the ipad to test incase it doesnt work (1 change per month) as i'll then have whining kids with no sky on the ipad lol

craigtellis

Standard Member
Ignore this question.. I took the plunge.. you can have two xbox 360's registered for skygo and they do work simultaneously so thats good.

Leedsgreen

Standard Member
Ellisseventysix,

I've been looking everywhere on the internet to find a quality comparison between the various machines that one can watch SkyGo on (i.e. iPad, iPhone, laptop, Xbox 360).

At the moment I watch SkyGo through my laptop, connected to my TV, but there's always quite a 'judder' when eatching football and 'ticker flicker' on scrolling text (i.e. Sky Sports News). I believe this is an inherent problem with Microsoft Silverlight.

Anyway, would you be able to tell me what the quality of SkyGo is like on the iPad and Xbox 360? Is one better than the other? I'm considering going the Xbox 360 option (seems much cheaper even with Xbox Gold account) but woudl be useful to hear your impressions.

Thanks very much,

Nick

craigtellis

Standard Member
Leedsgreen,

To be honest the quality on both the ipad and the xbox are pretty good really, i'd say the ipad is slightly better but if im fair then i would have to add that its probably due to the ipads small screen size nothing more, I don't suffer any "juddering" issues on either, when viewing on the xbox it looks just like any other standard definition tv channel.
I chose to have it on 2 xbox's so my kids could watch the on demand and live sky tv streams (saves on extra multiroom subscriptions), like you say even with the xbox gold subscription its a cheaper alternative and the kids get the extras too (bbc iplayer etc...).

Bare in mind your internet usage though if you are on a capped usage or your ISP has a fair usage policy :suicide:

Hope that helps a little :smashin:

EDIT: The XBOX 360 does not have iPlayer, my mistake (getting mixed up with PS3)

Last edited:

Leedsgreen

Standard Member
Ellisseventysix,

Thanks very much for your helpful reply. This is the first place I've managed to find some useful information on the internet (including review sites) about SkyGo on the Xbox 360!

If you don't mind, I have a few more quetions?

1. Just to make sure, does the Xbox 360 really look as good as an SD channel (or very close to)? The main reason I ask is that when I hook my laptop up to the TV and watch sport, the picture varies greatly. On a still shot (when the camera doesn't move) most things are fine and the picture is great. But as soon as the camera pans (i.e. following a cricket shot or kicked football) it's really hard to keep track of things. The smoothness disappears and a 'judder' kicks in. Do you find watching SkyGo on Xbox smooth under all conditions?

Also, when I walk into the room and look at the TV I can immediately tell when I'm watching a game on 'normal' TV compared to SkyGo through my laptop. There's a subtle but noticeable difference. Is this the case with the Xbox 360 (or is the image good enough to pass as normal SD TV)?

2. Some Xbox users report that Sky have removed the ability to change the quality settings of the feed (i.e. on the laptop you can choose 'low, medium, hi & auto'). They report that SkyGo on Xbox is 'stuck' with the 'auto' setting and even with a good internet connection the quality can sometimes change repeatedly. Do you notice this?

3. To use SkyGo on my laptop I just need an internet connection and Sky ID. Other than the Xbox Gold account (and a HDMI lead), would I need anything else to play SkyGo through my TV with an Xbox 360? Some folk talk about the need to also pay Sky for multiroom? Do you know if that is the case?

Sorry for the long questions, I would really appreciate any further help (and it greats to finally find someone who can answer them)!

Nick

craigtellis

Standard Member
Nick...

1 - I've never witnessed the judder at all, I used to watch live streams of sky sports and I never noticed anything like that. (Could that be down to internet connection speed?, do you have a fast connection?)

2 - To be honest I haven't checked if that ability to change the quality is still there, I know it was early January as I saw it when setting up the xbox's in the kids bedrooms (if i remember correctly it was only available when watching live streams and was accessible by one of the xbox pad shoulder buttons). The picture quality on mine never differs and seems to be as close to perfect as streaming can be.

3 - It used to be that you needed either sky multiroom or sky broadband, but that changed, it now depends on what sky package you subscribe to (you only get the channels relevant to your subscription), worth noting though that not all channels are available, but the main ones that I assume you would want, are (all movie channels, all sky sports channels & ESPN). All you need is Xbox360, HDMI cable, SkyID and off you go.

Hope that helps, if you're still a little unsure, I can happily upload a couple of youtube videos to demonstrate how smooth I find it on my setup? If you want me to do this just give me a shout and I'll do it tonight when the family are in bed & out of my hair lol

Craig.

craigtellis

Standard Member
Just to add...

The addition of Netflix to the XBOX might be another advantage to you should you be a movie watcher? Streaming most films in HD and with 5.1 audio. £5.99 a month, worth every penny in my opinion :smashin:

Again, happy to upload a video via youtube later if you want it.

Craig.

Leedsgreen

Standard Member
Hi Craig,

Thanks again for all your info, much appreciated. If you have the time, I really would appreciate seeing a demo on YouTube. The main thing I'm interested in is the Sky Sports channels and how they look. Also, Sky Sports News - on my laptop the ticker tape reader (which scrolls horizontally at the bottom) always shows stop start motion ('ticker-flicker') and I would be very interested to see how smooth that is on the Xbox. Would you be able to show the user interface and how to choose a show etc? Do you need to enter a password each time you use it?

Does the Xbox stream BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4OD, and Demand 5 or just some of them? Also, do any of then offer HD?

I believe you can also buy a TV-like remote control for the Xbox, making more like a TV streamer than games machine?

Once again, thanks for all your help. I have to say, it's looking more and more like a good option!

Nick

craigtellis

Standard Member
Nick...

No problem, I'll upload a video to youtube later this evening and post the link here for you.
As for the password for SkyGo on xbox, you only need to enter it once and you're good to go each time you want to view.
As far as I know the only ondemand channel to offer some HD content is BBCiPlayer so far, but I assume the others may well follow suit in time.
Yes you can buy a handheld remote, they apparently work very well totally removing the need for the xbox controller. :smashin:

Craig.

EDIT: The XBOX 360 does not have iPlayer, my mistake (getting mixed up with PS3)

Last edited:

craigtellis

Standard Member
Nick,

Here you go mate, sorry it took so long & excuse the shakey iphone video (oh and the clicking noise isnt on the tv its the dog walking on my laminate flooring lol)
Hope its of some help for you

Leedsgreen

Standard Member
Craig,

I can't thank you enough for all your efforts - really appreciated! Wow! The image qulaity looks very impressive and there was no sign of 'judder' or 'ticker-flicker' to my eyes.

What I notice that is similar to my laptop is that when you choose a new live sports channel, the system takes a few minutes to click in, with the picture becoming noticeably sharper. Must say, the Xbox appears to do this much quicker than laptop :)

I presume to get BBC iPlayer etc, you go out of the Sky 'menu' and into another 'menu'?

Finally, does the Joker character always hang about or can you choose other characters (or have none)?!

Anyway, thanks again. Makes my decision that much easier!

Nick

PS Glad your dog enjoyed the show as well!!

craigtellis

Standard Member
Nick...

Yeah it takes a few seconds to analyze your connection and give you the quality of stream that best suits you, i think anything over about 2Mbs connection will trigger the high quality.
As for the BBC iPlayer I'm sorry that was incorrect of me, you don't get BBC iPlayer (i was getting mixed up with the PS3 as i have that too).
What you do get is Sky, 4 on demand, demand 5, youtube and a few other freebies, the streaming content that you have to pay for monthly is netflix and lovefilm. Sorry about that.
The joker guy is just my avatar, you can choose your own lol :D

Craig.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom