Sky, NTL & Telewest Questions

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by JamieBee, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JamieBee

JamieBee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am a current owner of a sky+ box and although I am happy with the box itself, I am not best pleased about the price (£52 for full package & multiroom) or the waiting times if and when I need to call them.

Anyway, a few questions as I was looking around at other options:

1. Where I live, NTL are the cable provider but I have heard lots of bad reports about their customer service. Also, I have heard a rumour that Telewest have bought/are in the process of buying NTL. Is this true ?

2. Are NTL any cheaper than Sky (my phone is with BT and my broadband is with Freedom 2 Surf) ?

3. Do NTL do their own version of sky+ or not as I do not think I could go back to manually setting things up to record progs after nearly a year of Sky+

I do call NTL after I moved in to ask what they would charge just for broadband and a very rude and abrupt man told me that unless I changed all 3 services over to them, they wouldnt deal with me.

Your help would be appreciated :smashin:

2. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618

1 NTL and Telewest are now merged making them the biggest Broadband services supplier in the UK.

2 You had better make the comparison by going to the NTL website and looking at the charges. If you take their cable service you will NOT have to pay line rental for your telephone,provided you 'switch'to NTL as your phone supplier. You will not have to change your BT number if you make the change. They have various phone packages.

3 As far as I know there NTL do not supply a a Sky+ type of service,but it is worthwhile asking. You can buy a mulitiroom type of service. Telewest supply equipment that is much nearer to SKY+ and they are ahead of NTL in that they are running a HD service. No good,of course, if you don't in a Telewest area. Might be worth waiting to see what the merger brings.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them, they are normally very polite.The only breakdown I have had in 6 years was fixed by a new box being installed in less than 24 hours. I find the picture quality of their Digital service very good,and reliable. People will argue, but I think the quality on a wide range of channels is better than Sky. I get the impression that it can vary depending on where you live. There are a lot of NTL 'knockers' on the Forum, but i think there experiences were based on the old analogue service, which was dreadful. Just bear in mind all the complaints about SKY !

In the end,you pays your money and you makes your choice.

3. triplea4uk

triplea4uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    1. NTL & Telewest are not biggest BB suppier BT are BT choose to do whole sale not like NTL.

2. NTL/Telewest BB is cheaper because you get the BB and telephone rental in 1 price at moment you will be paying freedom2surf 1 price then BT line rental but NTL phone service is not as good as BT from my own experiences.

3. Telewest do offer a service you can record TV like sky+ you have to ask them NTL also offer it but not spread that well.

NTL do have one of the worst customers services thats if you even get to speak to someone and LOL the picture isnt as good as Sky but it should be better really just NTL to lazy to upgrade there aging systems to support many features cable only can support.

The choice is yours Sky is over priced but if you lok they offer and produce the best channels do NTL produce sports channels NO so you want get fancy interactive features Sky offer, I hope NTL/Telewest sort theyselfs out need someone to go up against Sky they are ripping people off badly.