Sky+ now, or wait for High Definition ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by hifi_oldie, Aug 1, 2005.

1. hifi_oldie

hifi_oldie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in a Sevenoaks shop the other day, looking at a Panasonic LCD.

In chatting, the guy at Sevenoaks claimed they would be one of the
    people 'franchised' to provide Sky High Definition installations.
    Also claimed High Definition was due in January 2006.

Is there any point in me upgrading to Sky+ now ?
    or should I wait for High Definition which I assume is going to need
    yet another Sky box ?

Any advice very welcome ...

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    He's talking out of his rear end. Sky are launching a limited HD service sometime in 2006. They say it will be a mixture of sports, drama, and general entertainment programming. Some people have interpreted that to mean at least 3 channels, but it could in reality be only one. There will be no dramatic launch of HD in January - the majority of the channels you watch now will stay in SD for quite some time. It will be at least 3 to 5 years before the majority of programmes will be in HD.

There are some great deals in Sky+ at the moment. Sky HD will require a new box and an additional subscription, without a doubt. You will also need a new DVD player too, because your existing one will not play HD DVD's. Better visit the bank manager :)

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Sorry to Hijack Hifi.

Nick, just looked at your footer/sig. When you say about HD DVD's: I noticed with a lot of DVD's by my 6210 it gets "stripey" with really strong colours unless i tell my PC to blur the interlacing. Does this mean that all DVD's currently are interlaced and that all DVD players blur the interlacing by default?

(once its blurring the interlaced images its then fine)

Cheers!

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    DVD's are not interlaced, but unless you feed your projector from a progressive component source, the picture will be interlaced. I don't see the problem you describe with my 6210 when fed from an interlaced source, but what I do see is "feathering" of the picture towards the bottom of the screen, which is quite noticeable on fast movement. This effect disappears when the 6210 is fed from a progressive source. I think the effect is made worse by the fact that the display chip in the projector is made for 60Hz, and we are feeding it from a 50Hz picture source. I get the best results from my 6210 when I feed it from a cheap and cheerful DVD player which I bought from Ebuyer for £50, which does NTSC & PAL (Y, Pr, Pb) progressive, as well as MPG playback.

5. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Not sure what feathering is but the horizontal striping is all over my picture and only in very fast, strong colour situations... e.g.. Anger Management DVD by Eminem.

As for Progressive source, this is coming from my PC which has a Radeon 9600 Pro running VLC as the DVD player over a VGA cable. I was really just wondering if VLC is non-progressive by default and the "De-interlace/blur" option turns it to Progressive?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I'm not sure about using a PC as a source. With prices of DVD players with progressive outputs so low these days, I'm wondering if using a PC (with its associated fan noise) is the way to go ? I cetainly never see striping on my 6200, fed from any source, but I've never tried sourcing movies from a PC.

7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Ok.

well, as I said, as soon as I turn de-interlace on it vanishes and looks perfect as usual. Interestingly, my xbox does not present me with striping either and this is nothing but a low end PC. Im guessing this is a quirk of VLC.

Cheers for your input and sorry again HiFi for the hijack.