Sky + Not Working

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by [email protected], Apr 21, 2007.

1. Bl@de

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have spent a little while this afternoon trying to resolve my problem by reading other users issues. They don't seem to quite match up though.

Sky + box is approx 15 months old and has worked fine apart from needing an occasional reset. This afternoon i went to tun it on to use after having it turned off for about half an hour and nothing.

Using the remote to power up has no effect, not even the remote LED flashes on the front panel. When pressing the power button on the front panel it blinks up red only.

I have tried reseting it a couple of times now and even left it turned off for ten minute + periods but still no joy.

It sounds like the fan is still spinning, and i have read about some of the supposed upgrades that sky are planning this month, but have no idea if this is relevant to my issue.

Please somebody help. Doctor Who is on tonight and i don't want to miss it.:(

2. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    What make/model is it?

Try rebooting it. If that doesn't help, I guess it's goosed.

Pull out the spare ordinary £20 Digibox that you bought from eBay for emergencies and connect it up. Make sure it has the latest software.

3. Bl@de

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Its either a:

THOMSON DSI6210 160GB PVR2.5

or

THOMSON DSI8210 160GB 80GB PVR3

Either way i am a tad annoyed. It has shown no sign of any fault up until now. Its just sitting there, fan whirring away with its little red light on.

Back up freeview box is on standby just incase, but unfortunately i live in an area where there is next to no freeview reception:mad:

Looks like i am gonna lose the past few weeks of of 24, Battlestar Galactica etc.. that i had stored on it.:(

4. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Sounds like its had it i'm afriad, the 'red light' permantly on is a common symptom of these boxes. Unplug it from the mains, hold down the 'back up' button and plug the mains power back in. Give it ten seconds holding the button down to see if the software update kicks in, if not, not much you can do other than repair or replace. If you need a new one, please PM me!

5. mobrule

mobrule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Your planner contents could still be OK.
    I had the same thing happen to me when a lightning strike took out my Pace V2, red light stayed on, the hard drive would attempt to start, then nothing. Despite using the back up method to try and revive it, when I purchased another Sky+ box and put the old disc in the new box, all my programmes were there.

The excellent Copy+ software could also help, if you want to get another Sky+ box, that is.

http://copyplus.artisswebdesign.co.uk/

6. Bl@de

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the comments so far guys. I took my mechano set out so i could do a bit of tinkering about inside. To me it smells like the HI-POT coil/transformer has blown. I have just seperated the HDD from the main board to see if it will spin up from an external power-source.

If it is the power supply that is at fault is there anywhere i can order a replacement, or should i just sucumb and pay out for another box and switch the HDDs myself.

7. Bl@de

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    *UP-DATE*

Ok the HDD spins up under external power and my PC can recognise the usual files on it so all is not lost...:clap:

I least i can eventually regain my recorded programs.

8. jrisch

jrisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    And if you really need last night's Dr. Who then pm me.

9. kena

kena
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. I was watching sky with my Thompson 80gb Sky+ box and it just went off. Now i have the same problems as above. I have plugged in my spare panasonic digibox and got Sky to match up the card but now i can only get the first 9 channels. 101 to 109 and nothing else. Phoned sky about 5 times yesterday and did 3 resets and software downloads but still the same problem. Anyone any ideas ???

10. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  11. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    What EPG version is on the box? "Services" "System setup" "System details"

If it is older than 3.4.4 - the problem is caused by the software in the box being very out of date - this is amost certanly the case if the box has not been used and left disconnected for some time). Forced downloads will not always work (but keep trying) - it should update automatically eventually if left connected to the dish and either in standby or in use. There are reports on other forums about this problem and people have said it has taken a couple of weeks at times.

Sky can really not help on this one.

12. Bl@de

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Strange, the spare pana box that i am using at the moment is on v 3.3b.5 and it picks up all the current channels with no problems.

It was a bit reluctant to recognise the viewing card at first but this was cured by a little dusting of the slot.