Sky+ not turning on at all!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mattr37, May 1, 2007.

1. mattr37

mattr37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi I've read through lots of people's problems which seem similar to what I'm going through, but I just need clarification so I can call up and sort this out.

Basically, Sunday afternoon the machine switched itself off and won't come back on. Monday morning it worked again for an hour, and in a panic over losing my programs, I managed to get one off onto a DVD, but since then, nothing.

I called Sky's useless customer services, they advised doing the software update by pressing the backup button and it did all that, but to no avail. Obviously annoyed at having missed Lost, 24 and Heroes, I arranged for them to come round on Friday of this week, and I'm hoping to catch the repeats if they manage to fix it.

However, reading through these forums, it seems to be that this is due to a software update for this Anytime business that's screwed up my machine. I got my box direct from Sky 6 months ago, and they say it's still under warranty, so if they need to replace it, they will for free. Damn straight, but this'll mean I lose all my previous programs, right? Which is rubbish.

My concern is that I read that if you turn off the Anytime feature it solves the problem, and I'm keen to do this as I'm worried Sky will charge for an unnecessary callout on Friday as they're sharks and they're just not prepared to admit this is the fault. However, I can't turn it on to do this!

Is there anything I can do or am I reliant on Sky coming round and possibly charging me for what is essentially their fault?

It's an 80GB Sky box if that helps...

Help! I want to shout at Sky and talk to this "Level 2" engineer stuff, but want to be confident and not get ripped off!

2. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Sky won’t and cant charge you for this as the box is under warranty and is basically knackered

As to if its related with the Anytime update I doubt if even sky would know that but please remember the forums only give you the horror stories I have 2 sky+ PVR2’s and an HD box and I have never had any real issues with the anytime service on my HD box YET :D

3. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  4. dennisowl

dennisowl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My sky+ box has done the same thing. I noticed over the last few nights that it went to standby overnight and that Anytime had suddenly appeared. Now I cannot get the box to turn on. Mine is out of warranty so is there anything I can do before I resort to calling Sky?

5. mattr37

mattr37

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have indeed tried the force update (that's where you take the plug out, put it back in and hold down back up, right?) and it spent 10 minutes or so going through the process, but hasn't come back to me. :( According to Sky that was the last resort so I might try it again and again.

Good news is that the chap on the phone (although they're not exactly the best at being honest or accurate) did say I won't be charged for the call out, but the bad news is that I'll lose all my episodes of 24 and Lost I'd been stockpiling. Waaaaaaaah!

Thanks for the help anyway. Sky's been good to me really, few niggling problems here and there and terrible service aside, I can't live without it. :suicide:

6. dennisowl

dennisowl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I rang Sky last night as my box has the same problem - again went through the usual re-boots, forced download - all to no avail. Offered a service call outfor £65. I said I thought the problem was Sky's because of the software update/Anytime install and that the visit should be free.

Apparently they had a memo round That day advising them that they could no longer offer free service calls for this fault. Spoke to a supervisor - same story. Personally, I wouldn't bother getting the box replaced as I'm not too fussed about having Sky (especially now the footie season's nearly over) but the kids would lynch me, so I reluctantly agreed to the charge.

Happily, later that evening I did another forced software download and, hey presto! - it came back to life, so call out cancelled.

However, it seems to me, from reading this and other threads, that this problem is not uncommon at the moment and based on my experience, it IS related to the recent activity by Sky.

It further strikes me that Sky are well aware of this and have decided it's costing them too much money to fix FOC, hence the chargge for replacement.

Or am I just being a cynic?

7. PaulD76

PaulD76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hey

I think its disgraceful if they have changed their policy on fixing the Anytime problems caused by Sky.

My SKY+ box worked perfectly until they did this download, now I am having problems. On the good side the Sky customer serivces have been pretty helpful and are fixing it for free. However Ive still been majorly disrupted (Well TV wise, lets keep it in perspective!) and am seeking compensation. I am in a good position tho as i am quite prepared to cancel my subscription. I have no kids giving me grief at present!! :)

Good luck. If it goes wrong again, I would threaten to cancel, I would not pay a £65 quid call out fee. Not this time!