sky+ not responding

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by klnc, Jun 26, 2005.

1. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Since Friday my sky+ box has been unresponding to remote or push button access. I have to reboot it constantly, after which point it works perfectly, but, what seemed like a one-off, is now having to be done all the time. Pressing any button has no effect - I can't change channel or access any menus, although you can continue to watch the current programme perfectly.

Unit is about 2 years old. Does the hard disk need replacing, or is it something more serious? Hard disk is the original one supplied. Have also had a few failed recordings lately.

thanks.

2. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What model is it?

Is it getting enough ventilation? Would try a software update just incase its become corrupted or something. Hold down the backup button while you plug in the mains cable.

3. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    thanks for response

Model no. 3.024. Ver No. 9F2101. Op Sys 1.31A8. EPG sky+ 1.28d

No problems with ventilation and have just done forced download

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Try disconnecting the two dish feeds, and leave the box saying "Searching for channels" for a while, and see if it shuts down. If it doesn't, it's possible that you could have an LNB or wiring fault which is causing too much current to be drawn from the LNB feed.

If this isn't the problem, next time the problem occurs, look at the LNB 1 & LNB2 signal strengths in the Services menu. If LNB2 is zero, then you most probably have a hard disk fault, but switch the LNB1 and LNB2 inputs over, just to prove it's not the LNB at fault.

5. Grobnic

Grobnic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have always had problems with frozen buttons etc with SKY+. I've found I need to turn it off at the mains every couple of weeks (no loss of data) and that normally solves the problem. But this week I could only use about 50% of the hard disk so I did a hard reset and things are much better.

Hard reset
    Service button then _ 4_0_1_select
    WARNING - you will mose all reorded and marked programs :eek: :oops:

I'm trying to stretch my old model out until the HD version appears next year.

6. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Grobnic. You could have tried a planner rebuild (from the same menu) to see if it sorted out your space problem. This doesn't erase your recorded stuff.

You could always force a software update to see if that sorts the locking up problem. You can do this by unplugging the box from the mains then keep holding the backup button on the box while plugging it back in again. After a few seconds, you should be greeted with a message that says latest software will be downloaded. Never know - could be worth a try.

Cheers, Clabs

7. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    forced software update seems to have solved the problem. Have gone 24 hours without any problems. Will monitor going forward. Cheers for help.