Sky+ not recording ???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jmbrailsford, May 7, 2005.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi,
    had a powercut that lasted about 3 hours last week :mad: and that evening my wife and kids tried to watch something that we had recorded earlier that week.

However they couldn't play any of the recorded programmes at all and the box 'froze', they called me at work and I suggested the usual, switch off and remove power socket for 5 - 10 mins and then reboot to reset the box.

Unfortunately this didn't work as all it did was completely remove every programme listed in the Sky+ planner ( recorded ones not the epg ! ).

On return from work I tried a 'planner rebuild' via the engineers menu and no joy, thought what the heck I will just wipe the hard drive by running the 'housekeeping' option, seem to work ok as it told me the housekeeping was being done, waited about 10 mins and then re-booted box.

However on attempting to record anything now the machine just tells you to call the 087005 ...... number as recording is not available on this box :mad:

Went back into the menus and noticed that I only have 1 input working, I thought AHA that's it the LNB is knacked, so I swapped the inputs round thinking this would at least show me that it was the lnb that was faulty, and guess what :rolleyes: didn't make any difference input 2 was still showing no signal and 'not locked'.

Therefore it must be the box??

Anyone able to offer advice on how to sort this, box is not warrantied as not bought from SKY, is it faulty or has the Power Cut just zapped my card and removed my SKY+ sub details if you know what I mean.

Any help/info greatly appreciated as a bit wary of phoning SKY as being conned into paying for call out when its possibly a software problem ( see this month's What Satellite mag for the report on the SKY scam regarding call out fees to non SKY customers )

Apologies for the long winded post.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    No signal on LNB2 is a classic symptom of hard disk failure, confirmed by swapping over the LNB inputs.

3. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi Nick,
    thanks for the quick reply, you have probably confirmed what I have just been reading over on the Digital Spy Forums.

'Bout time I put a bigger one in anyway and wife seems agreeable :smashin:

LOL

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You'll find all you need on the Hummer web site :)

5. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Just fitted a Samsung 1604N 160gb hard drive about an hour ago ( took all of 10 mins to fit ), and touch wood all seems ok so far.

Thanks to Nick for confirming the correct fault and also to users of Digital Spy Forums for helping too.

Would have been fixed quicker but was unable to decide what model of hard drive to fit, eventually went for the Samsung one as it fitted straight in no messing about with formatting and runs cool as the fan is on all the time.

:thumbsup: