1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky not in Stereo

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by u101946, Dec 11, 2002.

1. u101946

u101946
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Pace Sky digi box (about 5 yrs old)

i have the signal sent up to a digital splitter in the loft which enables me to watch the same sky channel from any other TV in the house.

as i have to tune the other TV's in i am only getting Mono sound.

is there anything i can do to get it to send Stereo sound?

can i upgrade the digitally splitter in the loft ??

2. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    This has frustrated me also when viewing SKY on the spare TV in the bedroom. The main TV is fine.

I have the Sky multi view (or whatever it's called) - so all perfectly legal. The standard terrestrial channels all flash up NICAM on the TV when accessed. When selecting channel 7 - tuned to SKY - it flashes up MONO.

Aaaaarrrggghhhh !!!!

Why is this - I just accepted that this was how it was going to be - but now I'm not so sure.

Can anybody put us out of our miseries.

Cheers

3. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Sky doesn't do NICAM encoding for RF output. Comprende ?

Mike.

4. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As Flimber said; you might want to take a look at http://www.satcure.com/tech/scartext.htm from the excellent SatCure website It (or something like it) is the only way to get stereo sound other than on your main TV ;)

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    How about some positive, useful advice guys? As everyone connects their STB with scart, don't they? when they're in the same stack, you're forgiven for not realising that it's not a nicam signal on RF. As that link shows, there is a way. You could either have long scarts made, or use composite + stereo, or s-vid if your STB supports it. You'll get interference and a lousy picture, maybe use RF for picture and stereo out from a scart for sound? You can buy scart stereo+composite breakout leads from maplins, and very probably your local tv shop these days. Budget around £10 per TV unless you want gold plated audio leads to your kids' bedrooms!

6. roadtorode

roadtorode

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My final solution when I discovered that RF was mono from the SKY box was to use a video sender; provided you have SCART socket availability (I use a powered socket doubler at the VCR port of the sky box), and the distance isn't too great, it works just fine.

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is this 'no stereo via RF' also true of ntl digital cable boxes? (Mine's Pace, I think). What I discovered yesterday was that I don't seem to be getting NICAM when watching the digital channels (channel 6 on my TV and switching channels with the STB remote). However, when I use the TV remote to access BBC1, ITV, etc - the analogue channels via the STB - the are NICAM. Surely the signal is getting to my TV via exactly the same cabling so how come the digital signal is mono? I've got a SCART connection into AV2, but I don't see NICAM appearing on this setting either.

**I remember now! No NICAM in digital, but some sort of MPEG stereo via SCART which the TV doesn't display in audio settings**

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    How about trying one off those digi senders some if not all transmit stereo and connect to scarts argos sell them.