1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Non-Standard Installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sandy10, Aug 8, 2005.

1. sandy10

sandy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

To cut a very long story very short, I live in a mid-terraced house - to the rear is an extension, which gives a small flat roof, and a wall which affords an angle on which to put a Sky dish. My lounge is at the front of the house.

My wife doesn't want a dish on the front of the property, so I have been looking at solutions - It was suggested that I have the dish on the rear, pass a cable through the soffit, through the loft to the front, coming out through the front soffit, down the wall, and in to the lounge.

I have spoken to Sky, who told me they won't go into loft spaces which aren't bordered out - mine isn't.

Someone has suggested, I drill the holes, and pass the cable through myself PRIOR to ordering Sky, so once the installer comes, he will only have to connect up the dish, route the cable into the house, and connect the box up.

Is this feasible - would SKY allow this? and what kind of Co-Ax cable would I need? is it universal?

Any help would be appreciated please as I'm getting agitated by this! and the footy season has now almost started, and I at least want to get a few Villa games in before their season peters out [mid-October]

Thanks guys

2. helikopter

helikopter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done ! - yes run the cable yourself CT100 or similar - the engineer will gladly connect it up for you .

3. dacor

dacor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep, as said, do it yourself, when I had sky + installed yesterday, I had already routed all the gear, 2 coax cables running to dish and to position of where box would be, all the installer had to do was bung a quad lnb on and plug in the box, he was well chuffed.

4. sandy10

sandy10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance, I basically just need one cable - to run from where I want the dish, to the location where I want the box beside my TV?

Also, any specific cable to purchase?

5. helikopter

helikopter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky + requires two cables to be run - standard Sky only one - run it to where you think the dish will be and leave about 2 metres spare at both ends ( just in case )

CT100 cable or similar - basically if its shielded it will be ok.