Sky+ Noise during night

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wafc, Sep 6, 2007.

1. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I've recently had Sky+ installed in the bedroom. Its a new PVR3 Amstrad box (I'm told by the engineers that those are the only boxes they are supplying these days due to Sky buying Amstrad).

When I turn the box on there is the usual noise coming from it, a bit like a pc. I put the box into standby at night and without fail, every single night, usually at around 5am! The box makes the sound as if its starting up and doing something such as receiving an update etc, this wakes me up every morning! The box remains in standby but it sounds as if its starting up. It lasts for around a minute and then goes off again.

I rang Sky about it and they told me to switch off Sky Anytime and the Auto Standby feature, I did this but still every morning at differing times (but usually around 5am) it makes the noise of starting up etc and wakes me up! I rang Sky again and they sent out an engineer who just replaced the box, and hey presto nothings changed, it still wakes me up during the night with this sound!

Has anyone else experienced this? (obviously only people who have the boxes in their bedroom will have noticed it). I rang Sky again today to say the new box was the same, they basically said that there was nothing I could do apart from unplug the box every night - Does anyone else have to do this? (if the box is in your bedroom).

Also I've noticed the picture totally freeze a few times, lasts about 30 secs then is fine, Dont think its the weather as the weather has been fine, again the Sky engineer thought that replacing the box would resolve it but it hasn't. He didn't check the dish so could it be a slightly loose connection at the dish end?

I dont think these 2 faults are related in any way as I'm pretty sure that all these new Amstrad boxes will make the sound during the night, just wanted to know if other people have heard the same noises during the night (every night!) etc?

Cheers.

2. Dean Adams

Dean Adams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spoke to an engineer and it is sky doing updates, i was told just to knock off at the mains before going to bed and once you switch the box back on in the morning the updates will be done then. I was getting woke up at the same time and it was every morning!!!

3. Jimmo 32

Jimmo 32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Mine does it at 6:00am every morning,I think its the EPG updating.

4. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Thanks guys,

Its nice to know its not just me going insane at 5am every morning then!

It doesn't fill you with much confidence though when most of the "technical" people at Sky know nothing about it and the enginers who come out just say "it shouldn't be doing that" and they just replace your box for a new one!

I'll just have to resort to unplugging the box every night, but at least its now confirmed that it happens on most/all boxes.

5. Gawaine

Gawaine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ha. I know when the EPG version is updated because it invariably crashes the box! :rolleyes:

6. shoties

shoties
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt recommend swithcing it off at the mains because then you may not get the software updates you need. Only options i can think of is to either suffer!!! or switch it off but run a forced software download once a week. (off at mains, hold backup, switch mains back on while holding backup until you see some lights appear on box)

7. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    Do what I have done, put the blasted noisy thing in a different room with a remote extender ;)

8. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    With what shoties mentioned is all you can do if you dont want to put it in another room which will cost additional cash

9. wafc

wafc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I definitely can't suffer with it as it wakes me up every morning!

I would've thought the updates would be received though once the box has been switched on again? Is that not the case?

10. pdiddy76

pdiddy76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    from what i understand they try to update at a time less likely to interupt your viewing hence early hours of the morning running the software update is the other option you have

11. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    What, like £4.99 + postage from ebay and 10 quid worth of cable and ends, thought this was avforums, not tightass.com