sky + no subscription

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by chumpy7, Sep 14, 2007.

1. chumpy7

chumpy7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new here so be gentle with me.
    I have NTL for my main viewing ( subscription ) and I also have Sky ( no subscription ) with one of the £20.00 freesat cards.I don't have room for a video recorder so I'm wondering if I can replace my standard Sky box with a Sky plus box and use it to record programmes from freesat whilst I watch NTL. I've only got one feed but I would only be recording from Sky ( not watching ).
    I had a good look round the forum before posting this but I couldn't find the answer.
    regards Mick:):)

2. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    Unless you have a Sky subscription, you won't get Sky+ features for free. ATM they cost £10pm. The minimum mix costs (I think) £17pm, which includes free Sky+ features. Is it worth the extra seven pounds to be able to subscribe to two Sky mix packages?

3. RugbyAl

RugbyAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    The sky+ service is now free, about 2 months ago it dropped its requirement for 2 premium channels/or £10 a month.:thumbsup: You only have a single LNB feed though, I know you only intend to record the one channel but I am not sure if the sky box may throw up an error and not let you do this. Perhaps someone 'in the know' could answer this?

4. RugbyAl

RugbyAl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +361
    Forgot to say, yes the sky+ recording services is free, but as previously posted, you will still need to have a subscription with them.

5. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423

As far as single LNB feed goes, can still record Sky+, but you must be tuned to the correct channel before the recording starts.

6. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The minimum Sky package for a single mix from the entertainment options is £16/month and can be setup to include sky+ record functionality.

Alternatively you can phone sky and ask them to activate this functionality on your freesat card, but it does still cost £10/month this way.

As broadz said, as long as you leave the correct channel on for the programme you are recording, it will work fine. If you try changing channels during a recording it will spring up a message, or if you leave a different channel on to that of a advanced programmed recording it will fail.

Hope it helps.

7. chumpy7

chumpy7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies.
    So without a sub or paying £10.00 a month the sky+ box is no use to me?
    regards Mick

8. ian-d

ian-d

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Can still be used as a digibox to view your channels, but essentially as its an uglier box and your paying for the record functionality, its not worth it.