Sky + No sound for DD

B

Bricksh

Last night for the first time I tried to connect sky + to my AV receiver (Yamaha DSP E800)with input selected to auto detect. I linked up via the optical output via an optical to coax converter to the coax input. I change sky + audio output to DD. Result no sound. But the receiver must have been "seeing" something or it should have switched to analogue input.

Anyone had similar problems, knows a fix?

Sorry, no. My optical link works fine. I don't understand the converter you talk of. I'd have thought coax was an electrical connection. Optical is just that. I don't see how its converted without some sort of powered gizmo, but perhaps that's what you've got. Is there not an optical input on the amp?

Yes the optical is linked via a powered optical to digital coax converter. There is an optical in on the amp but it's about a 30m run!

What I really don't understan is that on auto the amp should (and does from DVD) detect whether there is a digital signal or not and changeover. However from the sat box it didn't.

I'll try linking the dvd to the amp using the same optical coax combo tonight and see what happens.

The optical nature of the cable should not suffer from signal degradation over 30m (Telecoms use them over miles). With the converter I'd suspect this long run is something to do with the problem though. I'd try the amp & Sky box together (optical cable) If it works suspect your converter, if not, try that with a shorter cable. Then you'll at least know where the problem lies & can decide where to proceed.

Found the problem. Dodgy converter. With the toslink partial inserted it works fine, but fully located nothing and ties up the analogue feed to the amp. I'll be back to maplins tomorrow.

The reason for coax rather than optical was partially due to mechanical protection (it runs under the mat near the front door)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom