1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by boabw, Nov 1, 2004.

1. boabw

boabw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have had my new Sky+ Amstrad box for less than 3 weeks and I have experienced my first failed recordings, how come I ask my Sky+ box, it answers me back with Unknown Reason. I immediately tried to record another programme which also failed yet I was watching Sky+ at the time. I then set two programmes to record at same time which I know Sky+ does, interestingly after the recording it told me one had recorded but the other had clashed, how come I am left asking myself. It was very dense fog last night where I live, could that have been the problem? Signal Quality at the time was around 60-70% on both inputs.

I thought this was not supposed to happen as it records to a Hard Drive so there should be no real reason for failure. I now only have two programmes stored in my Planner as Recorded which take up 12% of drive space yet Sky+ tells me I have 78% free, should that not be 88%. I am currently engaged in a planner rebuild which seems to have locked out my Sky+ box at present, I assume this procedure takes a bit of time.

Sky+ now available, however it now says 83% free, highlighting each programme shows that part of HD space used but at the end there is 5% of dark blue suggesting to me drive has been used but can't recover this area, could this mean drive damage?

I also have noticed that when you have dark scene on any channel I notice faint vertical bars throughout most of the screen. I have checked all cables and they are all secure. My Signal Strength for both Inputs is 100% and my Quality for both inputs varies between 50% and 90%. On my previous Sky digibox the quality was always around 85% and never varied yet it does on Sky+, weird. Any ideas, do I have a faulty box.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Signal strengths are fine that shouldn't have been the problem.
    Issues with recordings occur because SKY+ relies on a number of different pieces of data some of which are supplied by the individual broadcasters themselves.
    There is the EPG data, the now&next data, series link data and recordings entered via the planner or manual setup.
    It is not unknown to have conflicting data from the same broadcaster and certainly possible for data from different sources to require SKY+ to do one thing ahead of another.

You could indeed have a potential hard drive problem, watch everything you want and then do a Full System Reset and see if that helps.

You are not the first to see the vertical bars on an Amstrad SKY+, I would not accept that and should be a valid reason for the box to be replaced with a brand new one.