Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky + newbie questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by General Panic, Jan 30, 2004.

1. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Guys
    Just got Sky+ installed yestersday and just a couple of quick questions.
    Does the unit need to be powered on to record using the EPG. I tend to power down at night but if i have a prog starting at 3am will the box come on , record it and power down again?

For dual recording , do i need to download new software or updates or would the engineer who installed the box have done that for me? I tried recording something last night and changed the channel on the handset which caused the recording to fail.

I've gone through the manuel and can't pin these to things down.

Great looking box and looking forward to getting a lot of fun out of it.

Cheers
    Panic

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    SKY+ has to have some power just like anyother electrical appliance to work so I assume you are wondering if the SKY+ can record when in Standby?
    If so then it can.

The odds are that SKY+ units being installed now do not have the December Dual record update, reloading the software should correct this problem.
    Not sure why you had a problem with the recording last night, you don't say if you were attempting to record two things in which case SKY+ wouldn't even set it up for you without the DR software and if you were recording a single program then you can watch anyother channel you want.

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanx for the quick reply. Sorry i meant standy as opposed to off at the mains so that's fine then.On the recording question i was watching something on Sky 1 , started to record it then changed channel to Sky movies and the recoding just stopped.
    You mention reloading the software , is that just a case of unplugging the power cable and holding down the backup button on the unit while plugging back in?
    Cheers
    Panic

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Now that is a puzzle, when you select a program to be recorded from the EPG or the s&s banner then that will be allocated to the second tuner while you continue to use tuner 1 for live viewing.
    That function is at the very heart of SKY+, record one program while watching another. Of course since the DR update the use of the two tuners is more flexible but that still wouldn't explain why a very basic function failed.

Reload software is more or less what you said.
    Hold the backup button down on the box while turn the power off at the wall socket.
    Wait 10 seconds and then turn the power back on WHILE STILL HOLDING DOWN THE BUTTON and then wait for a message on the screen or all 3 lights on the front of the box to light up, then release the button. You will only see this message if the SKY+ is connected via scart and the TV is on.
    Loading the new software could take upto 10 minutes.

5. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanx again Starburst. Down loaded software and seems to have done the trick.Watching one channel and pressed record button and red recording light came on , then changed channel and light still on. Just have to wait till end of prog to see if that's worked :)
    Does the dual record function allow you to pick 2 progs from the EPG on 2 different channels that start at the same time or does that cause a conflict?
    Thanks again.

Panic

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

The DR update should indeed let you select for recording two programs which either start at the same time or overlap eachother.
    With only two tuners if you are dual recording you can either watch the program being recorded from tuner1 or watch a previous recording. You will also find that the EPG may not have full 7 day listings since if the tuners are busy it can not update itself when you are browsing the listings.

7. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    BTW you can start watching a recording before its finished.

8. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I got a suppliment to the manual that explained DR badly. It is staight forward & if you try to do something daft it'll come up with a warning message, but I dont find them particularly clear (if you want to stop recording bla bla (something like that) press select) what do I press to continue the status quo? Back up seems ok, but I'm never quite sure! Basicaly you have to get used to its non video like performance. 2 tuners means watch & record or record 2 programs. You can simultaneously watch a previously recorded item or start watching one you are recording still. After years of videos, it takes a bit of getting your head round. The bit I find difficult is when recording one item,due to finish say 9pm, watching another channel, & starting a recording 9pm on a third. Due to overlap sometimes you get warning messages, as it wants to start recording before the first has finished & thus needs both tuners! Usualy I cancel the recording on the commercial channel (the first few minutes are usualy ads) Then start it when the other's finished. All this b***ing about can marr the one your watching, but prior to + you weren't probably able to watch or record more than one Sky channel anyway! When will + come with 20 tuners permenantly recording all your favorite channels & some 'might watch' programs also?