Sky+ new box /access hard drive

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dgc, May 1, 2003.

1. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Couple of sky+ issues:

New box

If I order now am I guaranteed one of the nice new silver boxes or are the old stock still being used up ?

Hard drive access

I have an HTPC which includes dvd writer/dig ter. tv card/recording software that interfaces with digiguide.
    It means I can timer record/timeshift Freeview channels onto hard drive and anything I want to keep can be backed up onto dvd.

The HTPC also has a capture card that converts the analogue output from my Sony Skybox into MPEG 2 files - again which can be converted from my hard drive to DVD. Results are better than VHS but not as good as the straight digital recordings from my dig ter. tv card.

It seems from previous threads that the hard drive on sky+ can easily be replaced. Presumably the data on it could be accessed ?

I forsee potential issues:

1. Connection of the HD to my HTPC - am I going to have to take the HD out of the Sky+ box every time I want to access it's data.

2. Encryption - does the sky+ box store it's data in encrypted form and reprocess it everytime a recording is watched or does it decrpyt once and store as a normal MPEG2 ?

It would be great to have the ability to back up sky+ recordings onto dvd without the analogue conversion+reconversion.

Has anyone tried this ?

2. RichMercer

RichMercer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. There are no old boxes left according to the Sky CS bloke I spoke to when I ordered mine on Tuesday. He told me that they only supply one type of Sky+ box.

2. There is no way to access the data on the Sky+ HD if it is removed from the Sky+ box. It is not decrypted until you watch it (this is why you can only watch recorded programs you currently subscribe to) so you will not be able to directly access the stream. The only way is to capture it as you do now.

Sorry.