Sky, Netflix & VPN

Bryce Curdy

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have Sky's Ultimate On Demand package allowing me access to UK Netflix. I'm trying out ExpressVPN with a view to being able to access material from other countries' Netflix. I was hoping that Sky Q would remain with UK Netflix but Apple TV and Smart TVs would see a USA server and allow me to access USA Netflix. It appears that my PC thinks I'm in the USA but Sky Q (as I hoped) and Apple TV and Smart TVs (both of which I hoped would allow me to access USA Netflix) know I'm still in the UK despite VPN. Any comments or suggestions. Will post in Sky forum too and hope that doesn't break any forum rules.

VPN won’t work on Apple tv mate. You could get a fire stick and do it that way or use a DNS service such as DNS4me on the ATV.

Thanks Mitch. I've got an Amazon Fire (not the stick). So just login to my Netflix account on that then?

You’ll need to download the app of your VPN onto the fire and just choose a us server

VPN won’t work on Apple tv mate. You could get a fire stick and do it that way or use a DNS service such as DNS4me on the ATV.

Correct, some VPNs don't work on Apple TV, but I was looking for one that would work, and one of the options I found was Surfshark. I use it on almost all my apple devices, and I'm quite happy with their services. If you're not sure about which devices it works with, you can always check those online (Apple TV, for example, Get Surfshark Apple TV VPN), but I'm pretty sure you can find a list of devices for other VPN providers as well on their websites.

You need to configure it on your router if you want to use vpn with devices that don't allow directly onto them. I am doing this with my ps4, roku & firestick. However, I do get dns error on ps4 when I use hulu app so for hulu esp I am using it on pc. Otherwise it would detect that I am using VPN with hulu.

You’ll need to download the app of your VPN onto the fire and just choose a us server
On FireTV devices I've had luck with StreamLocator VPN for stuff like netflix, hulu and BBC. Should just be on the store with a week (?) free trial if I recall correctly.

You need to configure it on your router if you want to use vpn with devices that don't allow directly onto them. I am doing this with my ps4, roku & firestick. However, I do get dns error on ps4 when I use hulu app so for hulu esp I am using it on pc. Otherwise it would detect that I am using VPN with hulu.
Apparently StreamLocator makes routers now? only in Canada though

On FireTV devices I've had luck with StreamLocator VPN for stuff like netflix, hulu and BBC. Should just be on the store with a week (?) free trial if I recall correctly.

Apparently StreamLocator makes routers now? only in Canada though

Hi! Never used streamlocator's router

VPNs are an amazing tool for anyone who travels abroad and wants to enjoy their favorite television shows, movies or streaming services. Not only do VPNs help you bypass geo-restrictions on these programs (like Netflix), but they also allow you to access region restricted content from around the world!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom