• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

sky mutliroom and sky+ hard drive

Ghulam35

Standard Member
if i get a sky multiroom, will i get a free box for the other room? does it need a new installations with wires going upstairs?

i got my old sky box, can i use that to get a multiroom, if i put the cables in lnb and take them upstairs, will i get all the channels i get downstairs?

sky + hard drive, can it be ugraded, whts the capacity on the existing one in my box?

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
No, you wont get a free box.

They will more than likely take the cables round the outside of the house and into the room you want it in.

Just adding a box on your own wont work. Nothing will work on it bar the free channels. No recording either. You need a 4 socket LMB which I'm guessing you wont have

Yes you can replace the hard drive using sky copy plus.

And how are we supposed to know what size hard drive you have without telling use what box you have and how old. it could be 40 gig 60 gig or I think there was a 160gig std def one also.

Ghulam35

Standard Member
ok i do have 4 socket lnb, i checked this out, i dont mind only getting the free channels, but will i need another viewing card?

im not sure which the box is but i only got it just over a month ago if that helps

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
At a guess 40 gig then

I think you could still watch the free channels but as I said no record function. Not sure if you need a card even if its to get the free channels. Take mine out and it just says insert card ( last i checked )

Copy+, the free Sky & XTV disk copier software

It allows you to format a hard drive to the Sky format so the planner will be configured for your new bigger hard drive. Make sure you choose your sky box correctly. very important that. I've not tired it yet, but someone on this site told me about it.

Last edited:

Ghulam35

Standard Member
wow that links great, thanks. just one final question on that, can it be any hard drive?

yeah tahts what i was thinking, it normally asks you to put a viewing card in so i guess i kinda answered my own question. will sky provide me with a seperate 2nd sky viewing card?

nickp8

Established Member
SKY+ hard drive upgrade guide: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=156344

If you take out multiroom it is £10 a month (or £5 for multiroom lite if you dont subscribe to sports or movies), you will get the same channels on your 2nd box as you get on the main box, you will get a viewing card for the 2nd box and be able to record. 2nd box will have to be connected to a phoneline for multiroom.

Without a card you will get some channels like bbc1, bbc2 but not any encrypted ones like channel4, five etc. A FTA card is a one off £20 fee for the card but you wont be able to record on the box unless you pay sky £10 a month in which case you may as well take out a multiroom sub instead.

You already have a quad lnb fitted as you have sky+ so you can run the cables to the location of the second box yourself then just ring SKY for a multiroom or FTA card.

Last edited:

Ghulam35

Standard Member
If you take out multiroom it is £10 a month, you will get the same channels on your 2nd box as you get on the main box, you will get a viewing card for the other box and be able to record.

Without a FTA card you will get some channels like bbc1, bbc2 but not any encrypted ones like channel4, five etc. A FTA card is a one off £20 fee for the card but you wont be able to record.

thanks what do you think is better to go with freesat or FTA sky box?

nickp8

Established Member

fernandez

Distinguished Member
If you take out multiroom it is £10 a month (or £5 for multiroom lite if you dont subscribe to sports or movies).....

Multiroom Lite is only available to subscribers in DSO (Digital SwitchOver)/analogue shutdown areas only

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom