1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Multiroom without a phone line?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by mark88, Dec 3, 2004.

1. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Just had Sky+ with multiroom installed. Easy enough in the lounge, but moving the old box to the bedroom isn't so easy as there isn't a phone socket upstairs for our registered telephone line (we have two lines in the house, 1 is upstairs, 1 downstairs)...

Is there any way to tell the digibox not to bother with the phone socket stuff? I can get in the installer menu (services 4 0 1 select)

BT want to charge me £110 to have a socket upstairs. Seem alot steep and uneeded. The bloke who installed the machine said it must be connected to the phone line.

update: or is there a hack that allows me to use another phone socket? The agony is I have the sky box upstairs sat right next to a phone socket, it's just not the right line.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Without both boxes connected to the same phone line you are breaking the T&C's.
    SKY do monitor these installations and are not afraid to warn subscribers and then just charge you full price for both subscriptions if you fail to remedy the situation.
    Using the same phone line is the best way open to SKY to confirm that both boxes are in the same location and not been sold or given to someone else, you are the victim of other peoples piracy in the years gone by:(

You could of couse put it a diy phone extension, although depending upon the cable run and the layout of your rooms that may not be practical.

3. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've looked into these wireless phone extenders, these would be perfect...

The only problem is that both phone lines in my house have ADSL so I'm not so sure if they will work?

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes they should, got cable modem myself but from what I have read a micro-filter is used between the socket and the plug to allow them to work side by side.