Sky Multiroom signal loss

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bynot, Jan 5, 2005.

1. bynot

bynot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :mad:

Hi guy's, First post!

I have had an extra digibox installed in one of my bedrooms and whenever there is a lite rain shower or cloud cover the extra digibox losses all signal and takes an age to come back even when the rain and cloud are gone.

The other digibox works ok even in the hardest rain but the extra one just losses everything.

I have tried resetting the box by powering down, change the lnb settings (get a few channels when 22hz command is off).

It happened again yesterday and took a full 24 hours to come back and the old box just keeps on ticking.

The installer said you can lose signal by the length of cable and yes the new box is on a longer cable run than the other box.

And help would be great can replaceing the cable help or a booster of some kind?

Thanks, Newbie!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There may be some damage to the LNB housing that is affecting just the one output, this can be fixed by using a spare output if you have a Quad LNB.
    However it's probably more a cable problem, perhaps the connections between the LNB and cable are poorly sealed and water gets easy access and takes a long time to dry out and restore the signal path. Long term abuse will of course downgrade the cables ability to carry the signal at useable levels.

Cable length should not be an issue unless we are talking serious runs and if that was the case the installer should not have installed it in the first place, sounds to me that he is coming up with excuses which means he doesn't have to do any warranty work.

3. bynot

bynot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply starburst,

Have an guy coming out tomorrow to check it over and see what he has to say. I will now have some info on my side to help.

Once again many thanks.

4. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    The box is ticking? - There's a short on the cable somewhere. Quite likely to be water in the cable from how you describe the symptoms.

Definitely not the length of cable (unless it's VERY long). No boosters required. Don't be fooled! ;)

A. Dork

5. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you actually boost a Sky Digital signal, especially Sky+? I mean the cable/s that connect from the Dish/LNB to the Digibox, and NOT the RF2 signal. I know the an RF signal can be boosted but what about Sky Digital signals carried on twin shotgun (CT63) cables and CT100 cables (most used sky cables)?

6. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Amp's are available to 'boost' signal levels but are intended for use in extremely long cable runs. Never seen one make any difference.

You don't need one. ;)

A. Dork

7. pezzer

pezzer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've recently had on-going problems with the signal to my sky + and second sky digibox.After trying all sorts of fixes had the LNB replaced and this appears to have resolved the problem. One of the problems was loss of signal during foggy wet weather.

8. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the maximum recommended cable run for CT63 Twin Shotgun cable for Sky+ is 30m and the standard CT100 cable for a standard Sky digibox is 50m but how much will the picture be affected by the loss in signal strength and signal quality?

My installation could be upto 25-30m for Sky+ (with twin cable) to my room, and upto 35m to the standard box in the living room (with standard cable). How much will the picture be affected in terms of QUALITY of the picture (pixilations/artefacts?), and could I be more suceptible to signal break-ups/loss?

Also, cars are always being parked, driven away, driven past, etc, where the dish would go on the ground or first floor. On my FREEVIEW signal (with indoor aerial) this causes signal break-ups even though the aerial is inside my house and on the opposite side of the room to the window near the cars. Does this happen with Sky digital dishes, cos the dish would be NEARER these cars as it's installed outside? Is it more likely to happen with longer cable runs due more signal loss?
    (I live on the first floor)

Thanks. :) :)

9. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    7Seven,

The maximum cable lengths you quote are not necessarily correct. I've read this before and don't agree. I've seen many installs using more than these lengths with no problems whatsoever. In terms of picture 'QUALITY' - no difference WHATSOEVER. :)

Ideally, the cable runs should be as short as possible. If you need 25-30m you should specify two runs of CT100 as part of the job requirements. If they refuse, go elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't use 'Shotgun' (CT63) unless it was the only option available. It really is a last resort. Honest. :thumbsup:

If the whole install is done properly you should not be affected by passing cars.

My advice - get an independent installer and be prepared to pay a little bit more for a proper job done to your requirements. You'll not regret it.

Does this help?

A. Dork

10. 7Seven

7Seven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot, cheers! :)