Sky Multiroom Query

S

Sami_S

I'm thinking of a Sky+ upgrade but don't particularly want to subscribe to multiroom (no need to pay £10/month extra).

However, as the original box is effectively owned by me now, can I have a cable put in and only subsrbe to multiroom later when & if I want?
I'm going to have to pay for the Sky+ installation anyway, so don't see why I should pay extra in the future for a guy to drill one extra hole in my wall when it can be done with a Sky+ install.

phil-uk

Novice Member
Yes you can, they'll fit a quad LNB when they install the Sky+. Two feeds will be used by the Sky+ box leaving two free. So you can run another two cables if you so wish. Of course the engineer will only be concerned with getting your dual feed cable into your Sky+ box so it isn't his job to drill another hole somewhere (assuming you'll want the other feed into another part of the house) but you may be able to convince him to do it as he's already there?

You can of course ask him to connect the feed and maybe just leave it coiled up and then you run it yourself later.

S

Sami_S

Thanks for that.
I assume they will disable the existing Sky card, or will they use it in the Sky+ box instead?

I want to potentially use the old Sky box as a freeview box instead in another room hence my queries

gaz2810i

If your initial contract is up why not get multiroom for a month and then cancel. If you agree to multi room they will install it (i assume at the same time) when you get sky plus. there is no contract involved with Multiroom so you can then cancel after the first month and he presto only ten pound extra and a months multiroom for the extra install.

I'm doing this as i am moving house and have to pay for engineer to come round anyhow. I asked if i'm tied into multi room ala HD and was told no. Also i am not sure but i think the cards are universal so can be simply re-installed in any box

jrisch

Novice Member
If your initial contract is up why not get multiroom for a month and then cancel.
When we went this route the benefit was with multiroom the install was free, whereas, we'd have had to pay the then £60 install charge. Cancelling left us with the install done.

At that time the installer moved the original card from the Sky box to the Sky+ one and the old re-sited Sky box got a new card. After cancellation the old box still picks up the basic channels but not C4, E4 etc. To get those you'd need to invest a further £20 in a FreeSatFromSky card. I didn't bother.

HTH

At that time the installer moved the original card from the Sky box to the Sky+ one and the old re-sited Sky box got a new card. After cancellation the old box still picks up the basic channels but not C4, E4 etc. To get those you'd need to invest a further £20 in a FreeSatFromSky card. I didn't bother.

HTH
An expired subscription card should decode Channel 4, Five, Five US, Five Life and Sky 3 - it will not do E4, More 4

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom