• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Sky multiroom help required please.

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
Hi ladies and gents,

Probably a simple answer to this but I have A Sky HD multiroom subscription and currently have a sky hd box in both the living room and one bedroom neither of which are wifi enabled. The lounge one is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and also connected to the telephone line.

The bedroom sky+ hd box has neither Ethernet cable or telephone lead connected. I want to view on-demand content on this TV, is the best way to do this via powerlink adaptors or could I get another router put in the bedroom and connect via Ethernet as this would also improve the wifi signal upstairs? Would a second router create a new wifi network or could it just 'extend' the current network?

Also do I really need to connect a telephone line to the second box? What benefit would that give?

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Pokey800

Established Member
Hi ladies and gents,

Probably a simple answer to this but I have A Sky HD multiroom subscription and currently have a sky hd box in both the living room and one bedroom neither of which are wifi enabled. The lounge one is connected to the router via Ethernet cable and also connected to the telephone line.

The bedroom sky+ hd box has neither Ethernet cable or telephone lead connected. I want to view on-demand content on this TV, is the best way to do this via powerlink adaptors or could I get another router put in the bedroom and connect via Ethernet as this would also improve the wifi signal upstairs? Would a second router create a new wifi network or could it just 'extend' the current network?

Also do I really need to connect a telephone line to the second box? What benefit would that give?

Many thanks in advance

Andy

Connect the box via wifi or power line adapters.

logiciel

You can take out the telephone connections.

Jonstone

Prominent Member
Sky do a box called an on demand connector which they charge £22 for which would connect to your router via wifi and you plug you non-wifi box into it.

There are other solutions that do basically the same thing, But I think power line adapters would probably work best.

As has already been said the phone line does not need to be connected

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
So just the Internet connectivity to sort out then!

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
Sky do a box called an on demand connector which they charge £22 for which would connect to your router via wifi and you plug you none wifi box into it.

There are other solutions that do basically the same thing, But I think power line adapters would probably work best
Power line adaptors it will be then. Many thanks.

I was seriously thinking about the idea of a second router upstairs to improve the signal but not sure how this would work. As it is Sky Router is it possible to just buy a better router for downstairs or does it have to be a Sky one?

Jonstone

Prominent Member
I'm on sky fibre and it is technically against their t&c to use any equipment other than their own, this does not mean it isn't possible but there are a couple of hoops to jump through first to get your username and password. Sky's routers are not the best

There is a good thread on it here How to replace Sky SR102 with another Router (Sky Fibre)

I assume it is also possible to add a different wireless access point and plug that into the sky router, but if power line adapters will work for you then it is probably the best and simplest solution.

Jonstone

Prominent Member
You could also just buy a second hand sky HD box with wifi built in, they aren't very expensive on eBay or probably on the forums here.

When sky Q launches there will probably be a large number of second hand boxes available, or if sky Q is of interest to you maybe wait for that to be released, it does look cool

logiciel

This thread is not the place for a discussion of powerlinks!

Last edited:

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
This thread is not the place for a discussion of powerlinks!
Please tell me it wasn't anything I said!

The power links should be arriving on Friday so I will connect it all up and let you know how it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

No, you just got caught up in a long-standing controversy!

We'll see how it goes when you report back.

andybailey1972

Prominent Member
Right all the bits (powerlink adaptors and telephone line) arrived this afternoon.

Success!!! One small snag was that I forgot to put one of the little white boxes in before the telephone line and lost all my broadband but once I remembered about them and put one in all was good. The TV in the spare room is now able to watch on-demand services and everything seems to be working well.

Many thanks to all those that offered advice and if anyone has any questions about it then please don't hesitate to ask.

One last thing; I have since removed the telephone line from the upstairs sky HD box as I can see no reason for it.

logiciel

As I said in post 4 - there's no need for any telephone connection.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom