Sky Multiroom DIY installation

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by dcmo, Dec 4, 2004.

1. dcmo

dcmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :hiya:

Forgive me if this is an FAQ, I have looked around on this forum and have nearly got an answer to my question but not quite all...

We have Sky. We do not want Sky+ but we would like to view sky in a second room. I was all set to run a cable to the second tv (as I did in my previous house)... then we discovered that with sky multiroom we can watch different channels for £10 a month provided we install a second box. Given how much sport gets watched these days I'm all for being able to watch 2 channels! Now, as we have a second unused box anyway (from boyfriends previous house) I don't want to pay Sky £99 for a box which means I need to install the second box myself. In another thread on this forum, someone was told they needed a 'quad LNB' to connect up to 4 digiboxes ... which I assume is something needed to split the signal from the dish? Can someone elaborate please?!

What does 'LNB' stand for and where is it placed in the system?

:smashin: Thanks in advance

dcmo

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The LNB is the "Low Noise Block" and it's the bit in the middle of the dish which collects the signals. Sky LNB's can have one, two or four cable outputs.

3. googlybear

googlybear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i too am looking to diy a sky multiroom setup. I have a cable splitter from a single LNB and was wondering if i feed this to a second box will it work or will i need a dual LNB?
    I think it should work like a normal tv aerial gets split to watch in multiple rooms. Can anyone enlighten me?

4. dcmo

dcmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    .. ah, I see, thanks... so .... I need to find out if my dish has 1, 2, or 4 outputs? and if it has 1 I'll need to change it to 2? :confused:

dcmo