Sky multiroom distribution

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mike Robinson, May 8, 2007.

1. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hoping someone on here can give me a little guidance please. Have SKY HD box feeding main plasma in tv room - no problems. Have normal sky box as multiroom box and would like to distribute this signal to other points in house. Will be distributing to two plasma TVs and am a bit concerned about loss of picture quality.

What is the picture quality going to be like and if it likely to be poor, is there an alternative method of distributing the signal?

Cheers.

2. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Try maplin they have several digsender options

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    they will look awful on plasma waste of money

Mike you need to decide what needs to be seen on each display at each location there are mny option that cost from tens to thousands of £as you have 2 boxes ideally one will feed plasma (do you have additional locations? and i guess you want to see recorded stuff on both? is it the HD or standard box you want distributed? and where to?

4. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies.

The HD box feeds the main plasma in the lounge and other than the two cables that come from the dish, this room is completely isolated so we will not be distributing the picture from the HD box. By the same token, this TV will not be able to receive FM or analogue signals which is fine. As long as Sky is working, we can get all we need.

The multi-room (standard) sky box is in the understairs cupboard. At that point, we have the FM and analogue feeds as well the sky feed. In addition, we have all the feeds which go to all the TV points around the house. My plan was to buy a loft box so that every TV/FM wallplate in the house can receive terrestial TV, Sky and an FM signal. The problem is that two of those points will be plasma TVs. As you can see, I am not concerned about distributing the HD signal, but I would like to have a decent SD picture on the two plasmas.

I thought that one option might be to run a scart cable directly from the sky box to one of the plasmas so that at least one of them gets a decent picture. Finally, you asked where the other two plasmas are going - the main bedroom and the kids TV room.

Hope this helps HD and thanks for your advice.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    if your not adverse to runnning a few cables i suggest you do as you intend with the RF distribution this will deliver FM (to seperate tuners) freeview TV analogue TV and Sky control (using magic eyes and compatible loft box amp) but i would run direct video and audio (mono only from RF) using some trickery

6. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again HD.

Pleased to hear that I'm not way off with my plan. Could you just ellaborate on the final part of your advice re 'some trickery'. Do you mean a good quality 5 core cable?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    No i mean cat5 data cables and some trickery, this way you can deliver S-video or Composite with stereo audio down a sib=gle cat5 or component video with stereo audio down 2 cat5s you an run HDMI down 2 cat5s so running 2 cat5 from cupboard to each PDP would be a solution

8. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers HD. I'll start running some cables and giving it a go!