sky multiroom advice...

trademarque

hi guys,
this is my first post..so be gentle!..i apologise in advance if this post breaches any forum policy,,

i just ordered a new Sharp LC46XD1E from empiredirect for £1399..( i did read reviews, but i think this is the best i can get for £1400..will be used mainly for ps3, bluray)

i currently have sky installed in the living room displayed on a Philips 42PF7521/D
(ive read reviews and comments on this panel in the forum, i must be the luckiest 42pf7521 owner, because it has excellant PQ and no QC issues with sky via scart, and xbox 360 with vga cable and vga-dvi adaptor).

i have aquired a second sky box, and i wonder if it;s possible to install it in the office where im putting the LC46XD1E and have the features of multiroom without the subscripton?

i have already run a scart cable from an extension box just off the sky box, throught to the office where the old tv sits, and i can easily view the same channel as is on in the lounge....but would the addition of the spare sky box allow me to change channels?

i apprecialte i would have to split the cable from the sky dish to feed both boxes, but in theory, would this work?

thanks for anyhelp...

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
First off you can not just split the SKY cable to feed two boxes, each box has either one or two LNB connections and these MUST feed independantly back to the LNB. If you continue to use one box but want to change the channels from another room use a magic eye kit which can be cabled back the main box and plugged into RF2 output.
If you add another SKY box then it will be an extra £10 per month for multi-room and another £10 per month if you do not have any premium channels.

trademarque

First off you can not just split the SKY cable to feed two boxes, each box has either one or two LNB connections and these MUST feed independantly back to the LNB. If you continue to use one box but want to change the channels from another room use a magic eye kit which can be cabled back the main box and plugged into RF2 output.
If you add another SKY box then it will be an extra £10 per month for multi-room and another £10 per month if you do not have any premium channels.

hi andy,

thanks for your advice. just to confirm, are you saying that with a magic eye kit, i could change channels from another room. with this kit, will be able to have different channels on both tv's?

you see, the problem is..and im sure im not the only one here..the significant other likes to watch all these stupid "amercas next top model" and all that absolute drivel that goes along with these types of shows..drives me nuts...i want to watch repeats of top gear and men and motors etc...you know where im coming from here..but i dont want to pay an extra £20 a month for the pleasure of watching what im already paying for.

can you advise a little more on this magic eye kit please?

any info is appreciated....and to show good faith, i have offered some advice to another member in another post....im not just here to leech some info and offer nothing in return..
cheers
guys!

mark

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
No!

The magic eye kit is for controlling the remote Sky box. If you want to watch another SKY channel you have to have another SKY box.

trademarque

No!

The magic eye kit is for controlling the remote Sky box. If you want to watch another SKY channel you have to have another SKY box.

thanks..

but as mentioned earlier, i have another sky box..can i hook it up myself and have multiroom?..

basically, what will the skyman do when he comes to install multiroom? i have 2 skyboxes a hammer and a pair of pliers! can i DIY?

you mentioned earlier about splitting signals...

ched

Well if Sky are installing Sky+ then the sat dish (LNB) can usually have 4 cables connected to it. The Sky+ needs 2 cables so you have 2 spare sockets at the dish end. You could run one cable to a second box in another room, but you will only get BBC1, BBC2 and a few other channels on the second box.
If you get a freesat card for £20 you will get about 120 channels for about 2 years for the 1 off fee of £20. They are the normal 1-5 plus BBC3, BBC4, itv2,itv3, itv4, Film4 etc.

If you want the same channels as your new Sky then you will have to connect the second box to the same phone line as your new sky box (you can use a different socket but must be same phone number), connect it to the dish and then pay sky an additional £10 each month.

If you are just getting normal Sky then the dish will nornormally have any spare connections so you would need to change the LNB for a Quad LNB.

SamRadford

but you will only get BBC1, BBC2 and a few other channels on the second box.

This isn't quite accurate. You'll get all BBC and ITV programmes, plus lots of shopping channels etc. The £20 card will add CH4, five, Sky3, Five Life and Five US.

Full list on Sky "Freesat" web page.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom