1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Multiroom £99 or DIY?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Hoggie, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Hoggie

Hoggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i've just been reading a few of your posts & you all seem to know your stuff. So i was wondering if you could help me?
    I want to have Sky Multiroom installed. I already have a quad LNB & a Spare Digibox, i have a phone line right next to where i want the box & Sky said the cheapest option is to buy a box from them for £99 - as much as i like the mini box I don't think it's worth it. I feel pretty confident about installing it myself as i've installed old Sky dishes before & the LNB is already in place and inline. Is their anything to stop me from installing it myself? ie; Sky's T&C's? What sorta cost am i looking at for cabling running no more than 8 metres?

Thanks, Hoggie

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Did SKY actually specify that for £99 you would be getting the minibox?
    It did indeed use to be the default STB for multiroom deals but it has long ceased production and now a standard digibox is the norm for new multiroom installs.
    For around £100 you can pick up a new digibox, even less sometimes if you happen to get lucky and see an ebay auction. Used digiboxes even recent ones go for far less.
    If you subscribe to a couple of SKY premium channels (movies/sports) then perhaps even a slightly higher intital outlay may be worthwhile and get SKY+ as one of the multiroom boxes.
    Sat cable (CT100) is cheap.

No problems with the T&C's if you install the hardware yourself for multiroom, you still are contracted to supply a working phone connection for box boxes but apart from that SKY have no issues.

3. Hoggie

Hoggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just assumed it would be a MiniBox - my bad. Thanks for your help, i've costed it up via Maplin website & it's probably gonna cost me £15. I'll use the old SKY box i have & just wait for the card in the post.

Thanks again