sky+, multi room , i-link ?!

nudda

Standard Member
Reaction score
Great forums here, am happy to be part of them :D

Just had the sky+ fitters in and they did a multiroom install. Heres the scenario:-

Old install :::::::: Sky box (without recording) downstairs. i links from that box to kitchen and upstairs bedroom. All working nicely.

Currnent install ::::::: Sky+ (with recording) box downstairs. Sky box (old, without record) upstairs. magic eyes going from downstairs to upstairs and kitchen.

Right, now the guys said I should be able to record stuff on the box downstairs by using a sky+ remote upstairs or in the kitchen.

Probem : i-link is no longer working in the kitchen or bedroom. I have tried looking for a RF > ON option in the menu but cannot find it :( The box is a Pace sky+ V3.

Could anyone tell me what could be the problem of the eyes not working ? :lease:

just managed to turn on RF OUT via special installers menu (system setup then 0 then 1 then SELECT) but still no joy with the eyes. Both the kitchen and upstairs bedroom dont work :(

got the light lighting up on the eyes ... so 9V in seems good.

Still not able to control channels though with sky+ remote or normal remote.

update : got it all working for about 5 minutes lol. I connected up the eye to the RF2 socket in the sky+ box directly and the light on the eye initially came on for a second then went off each time I plugged/unplugged it. Then when I turned off the sky+ box with the eyes in it directly, and put the sky+ box on ... the light stayed on ! From then on the whole system was working for about 5 minutes .... and now when I plug the eye directly to the box, the light comes on for a split second everyy 10-15 seconds. Spent like 3 hours trying to sort this out but havent got it working perfectly yet.

The voltage from the RF2 socket doesnt seem to stay constant. What could the problem be here ?

thanks

nudda said:
Currnent install ::::::: Sky+ (with recording) box downstairs. Sky box (old, without record) upstairs. magic eyes going from downstairs to upstairs and kitchen.

Right, now the guys said I should be able to record stuff on the box downstairs by using a sky+ remote upstairs or in the kitchen.

I'd call the installer back. If he has installed the set-up and it is not working, why should you spend the time sorting it out.

Thanks for the reply mrtbday

The installer was, in good words, a b@st**d !! They come in like a hurricane and want to leave just as quick. I spent 1/2 hour just now cleaning all the dust from drilling and pushing the TV's back and then on top had to fix the eye thing myself. He even nicked my next door neighbours ladder because he couldnt be bothered to get his own out ... I went outside after they had gone and there was my neighbours ladder, up againy my wall :nono: To be honest, I dont want any installer back as they really do my head in and never leave you satisfied. If I could fix it myself (with the help of you guys) then that would be ace otherwise Ill have to call up sky :(

thanks guys. Yup link working intermitantly here too ... did the box swap fix the problem for you stowitbelow ?

nudda said:
update : got it all working for about 5 minutes lol. I connected up the eye to the RF2 socket in the sky+ box directly and the light on the eye initially came on for a second then went off each time I plugged/unplugged it. Then when I turned off the sky+ box with the eyes in it directly, and put the sky+ box on ... the light stayed on ! From then on the whole system was working for about 5 minutes .... and now when I plug the eye directly to the box, the light comes on for a split second everyy 10-15 seconds. Spent like 3 hours trying to sort this out but havent got it working perfectly yet.

The voltage from the RF2 socket doesnt seem to stay constant. What could the problem be here ?

thanks

The 9V supply will trip very easily. Why don't you power the box off. Plug everything in i.e. the eye and all TV's. Power the box on and check that RF2 power is switched on and then leave it alone, don't unplug / replug anything. In theory it should then stay on.

thanks guys. Yup link working intermitantly here too ... did the box swap fix the problem for you stowitbelow ?

Yep, & to repeat my thoughts, I subsequently upgraded the HDD & took out the Maxtor that was so hot you could cook on it. New box with larger HDD have been A1 since.

great stuff, which is the best hard drive to get ... 160, 250 or something in between ? Also, what make as Ive heard only some models work in sky+

thanks

Mine is a Samsung 120gb (very seldom more than70% full). I think the theoretical max for useable HDD space is/was 137gb, search the forum & read all about it. My 120gb disc is ample, Im not sure you reap the benefit of larger than this. I'd stick to 120 or a 160 drive. There is a post on here, & links to how to do it guides, also lists of what has/hasn't worked. I choose Samsung from the list, but what was delivered had a different (faster) spindle speed - 7200 rpm not the5400rpm (like standard). I cant recommend it enough. The Maxtor I removed was too hot to touch, this only ever seems warm,& fluid bearings mean it's nice & quiet. I believe I paid a bit more & got a 'better' disc. Read the posts though, I picked mine as I couldn't see any bad reports.

Thanks stoweitbelow

Update : Sky man came today ... swapped the box over with a new one and its all FIXED :D Thanks everyone for your kind help !!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom