Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky Multi-room and phone connections

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Nick_UK, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I got this from a Sky installer today..... whilst the Sky installer was putting in my second Sky+ box, I remarked that I was about to decorate the room where the first box was, and that I would have to figure out a way to keep it connected.

He told me that I should force the box to "phone home" from the services menu before I disconnected it. "It confuses the system" he said. "Sky won't ask it to phone home again for another 6 months".

I've no idea whether this advice is true or not, so take it with a pinch of salt. ;)

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    MMMMmmmmmm,

Interesting, who's going to try it?

(not that we advocate such things, it is theft of service!)

3. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I went on holiday for a month a while back and disconnected everything and when I came back forgot to connect back to the phone line. A couple of months later I got a letter asking me to reconnect the box to the phone as it was a breach of contract.

Another time I forgot to reconnect the sky box downstairs after some decorating and again after a few months I got a letter.

Both time I reconnected and that was the end of that. No further letters/warning etc. So I shouldn't worry if it's only going to be for a little while.

However, both of mine are basic boxes not SKY+.

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true. The check is made on a monthly basis. If one of the boxes does not make the connection the system will retry up to 5 times. If a connection is not made they will leave it and try again the next month. The vast majority of letters are sent out within two to three months of the first failed connection.Some are sent within a matter of weeks.

5. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    Not that I dispute the telephone line thing but my original sky box was not connected from about 3 months after the install and I never got any letters and when my Sky+ box was installed the installer did a manual register of the box/card etc. cos he couldn't be bothered to fix the non-working telephone line from the box, told me not to worry as Sky don't do anything now anyway!

6. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have multiroom?Single box installs are checked less frequently.