Sky movies - why do people still subscribe?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Bearded_Malc, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I used to be a sky subscriber. But then I can across these all the DVDs you can watch deals. If you haven't seen these they are about 14 quid a month, you get 3 DVDs, watch 1 post it back, they send the next, and so on. Given the postage you can probably watch 1 DVD every 2 days. Postage is free BTW. Blockbuster does this, so do others whose names I forget.

So what I don't understand is why anyone still subscribes to sky movies? The cost is same or less (i.e. basic sky up to movie pack). You get new movies, where as on sky they would be box office extras. I've recently seen Shrek 2 and Around the world in 80 days. You get to choose the movies so I have included some old ones I've missed. On sky movies you get a few new movies each month, some probably not to your taste, the start time is fixed, etc. I'd never go back, the flexibility is a real plus.

The only downside for me is that I have dumped all of sky and I now have to wait for Stargate on DVD (but I can get that in my 14 quid too when it comes on DVD).

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Probably because we are all different and for some having a few dozen movies broadcast to their homes every day for a set fee suits them more than a rental model.
    It's not always about new movies either, I am an avid movie collector but there are still hundreds of movies I have never owned which turn up on SKY (and other channels too). It's all about having access to a number of channels all showing movies, flexibilty is a real plus:)

It has to be said that the DVD rental and sell though system has made huge advances over the last five years which as is your case made a SM subscription less than optimal. DVD has removed the advantage SKY had in PQ and the shorter cinema and rental windows has also degraded the subscription model, very high SBO prices haven't helped matters either.

It's all about choice though, SKY still has over 5million movie subscribers so they must be doing something right. Will they continue to have that market penetration as internet and carboot DVD piracy grows and grows is doubtful but that is something cinema and dvd rental chains also have to worry about.

3. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I take your point. I don't have that much TV time so I was to choose my movies, the latest and best. If I had more time then 3 movies a week might be too few. I know when I did have sky movies I don't think I watched that many, 12 movies a month, as I didn't find 12 sky movies to my, perhaps narrow, taste.

But I wonder how much is lack of information. I've only just found out about DVDs for a fixed monthly price. If I had know before I would have dropped sky earlier. How many of sky's movie subscribers stay because they haven't heard of these (like me some months ago).

I would have thought sky had more to worry about with these schemes as I don't think the blockbuster pricing, same as the increment for movies, is accidental :laugh:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Could be.
    Once upon a time SKY had the advantage because of the long rental window of VHS only movies, subscription movies really were a great alternative then. With the PQ of DVD and the shortening gap between cinema and rental the swing has swing back into the rental model plus more and more delivery systems are goign to come on line. DVD mail order rental is one of them along with VOD, xDSL etc.
    People do tend to stay with what they are familiar with though, that is why VHS is still around and dial-up net access is still being sold not to mention the big one of digital TV take up. That's not to say that the service is poor, it just means that they are satisfied or not dissatisfied shall we say:)

As with all things change is the only constant, what worked for SKY 5 years ago may not work in 5 years time:)

5. neilneil

neilneil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    SKY still has over 5million movie subscribers
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I thought sky had about 5 milion subscribers total, not all of them can be movie subscribers.

-Neil

6. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    confucius I have the same package as u and I now pay £34pm? Are u sure it is £30.00? I only have sky for the footie and golf so got all the sports channels.

gb--

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY has over 7.4million direct to home subscribers, there are also an additional 3 million or so (don't know the exact figure) who have SKY channels via cable.

8. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    thank u confucius. I feel better now. I get all the sports and movies 2, 4, 6, 8 for my £34pcm.

gbmitie

9. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Being aware of the rental deals is a big factor, but more than likely laziness is the cause most subscribers just keep on subscribing. I'm even worse, I'm lazy enough to simply have a full subscription AND spend a fortune on DVD rentals!!! Many of my customers are the same, they could spend time working out how they want to spend their monthly "entertainment budget" between Sky subs and DVD rentals, arranging for an all you can watch deal and selecting the movies you want to watch a month. Or, pay the full subs to Sky and if you find yourself wanting a movie just trot down to the store and have a wonder. It's extremely lazy and perhaps wasteful, but most people just don't care or don't want to care. They live in a world where every second having to fill in another form or do something else online is just more effort they don't want. Sounds weird, but we all do it. How many regularly check their utility bills to make sure you're still on the most economical package/supplier for Gas, Electricity, Phone, Internet etc? Or you can just blissfully pay the bill when it drops on the doorstep and not have to think about it again!!!

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    One of the advantages with Sky Movies is that they are mostly shown in 16:9 format. I have a plasma screen, and find that a couple of hours with black bands top and bottom watching DVD's does cause me temporary burn-in problems, and I'm worried that with continued use, they could become more permanent.

My DVD player does have a zoom facility, and I can use it to stretch the pictures to full height, but the quality suffers, and it's worse than watching the movie on Sky Movies.

11. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for posting that snippet of info. I've just ordered a Sky+ install, and would have gone for the Sky Movie World package if I hadn't read that. Now I'm still going to get some movies, but am getting Sky Sports 1 as well, and was able to sell the idea to my (sports hating) gf on the basis that we're going to be paying £5 a month less. Result! :smashin: