Sky Movies on V+ Box

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by sjg, Apr 22, 2007.

1. sjg

sjg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is anyone else Pee'd off with Virgin since pin numbers for Sky movies have been introduced? Not only do my wife and I (both in our 50's) now have to enter our pin to see a movie in case our non existent children (Not strictly true, we have kids, but they are in their late 20's and live elsewhere) decide to try to watch a film. Grrrr.

Even more annoying though is that some of the V+ box features no longer work on Sky movies! - you can no longer pause and rewind live Sky movies - nor for that matter can you access the "now and next" on screen prompt or the movie info, unless you exit from the movie and then have to re enter your pin to get back in.

It's a royal pain in the arse (can I say that?) - anyone else think so?

Steve

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    Yep, count me in on the above.
    One thing i do (and its not a solution of course) is to record some of the movies first, then view them later. that way i can pause and rewind.
    But i agree, we shouldn't have to

3. jontyg

jontyg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It was sky that introduced the pin protection, but yes it is a pain.

4. Jayceef1

Jayceef1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It was actually OFCOM that made the PIN entry compulsory for the movie channels so not Virgins fault, or Skys for that matter. So best complain to them as most people will pass pins to kids to avoid having to keep entering them especially if not at home thereby defeating the whole object of the exercise. However the loss of the other functions is a pain.:thumbsdow

5. sjg

sjg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jonty - Yes, I was told this by VM Customer Service, but even if this is so, it still leave no excuse as to why the V+ features are disabled - or am I being cynical if I suggest that it may be because Sky is scared of the better technology in the V+ over Sky+ and has insisted on this disablement as part of the package deal?

Whatever, it still leave the lack of programme information out for no apparent reason - this too is annoying and way out of order

I am definitely becoming one of those grumpy old men about this...:D

Steve

6. tachibana

tachibana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Steve,

was as annoyed as you when I found out about the lack in V+ funtionality on Sky Movie channels two weeks ago. Called VM and was told that the problem was in the system and to be solved by April 24th.

Wouldn't bet on it though, as the same topic was raised in another thread in this forum and people were given all different kind of dates when the functions would come back on.

dave_bass5,

how does the recording work with the PIN, or don't I need a pin when recording via V+?

Cheers,

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    You only need to enter the pin to play back the film. Even if you have pin protection off for recorded programs.
    The V+ box will record the Sky movie channel without the need to enter the pin first.

8. Nanor

Nanor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Have to agree that this is a pain in the ass. Why not have a universal pin so that we don't have to enter it every time, or a least have a time limit so that you don't have to re enter the pin in say a two hour period.

9. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +637
    what really bugs me is the fact that if you enter the pin wrongly three times it locks and you have to call CS.
    ive had tto tell my kids what it is otherwise they will try and crack it and lock the channels. Why didnt TW and now Virgin actually listen to the customers?

Stupid system

10. stockyvillage

stockyvillage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    same as an atm machine eh:spam:

11. WGLOVER

WGLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    I agree, it is a bit of a pain.
    I reset my pin to 1111. Makes it much easier.

12. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason, on my system it doesn't respond when the pin is entered. Most times it doesn;t even allow a pin to be entered.

I press red button...loading... then nothing, just the same boring screen about pin numbers.

Does this happen to anyone else? Only a few movie channels seem to work without a problem with pin numbers whereas I should be getting all movies.

13. steiwan

steiwan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    maybe im doing something wrong but...... was watching Legionaire ( please dont flame me!) when i felt nature call, so i thought i'd pause the film and come back to it. only to find that all V+ services were unabled. couldnt even use the EPG to scroll through the different channels without exiting the film. im pretty sure i could pause the movie channels before the pin protection came in to place. specifically remeber doing it the the Exorcist 3 a couple of weeks back....

edit, just switched on to where eagles dare on TCM, which isnt pin protected, and pausing is no problem at all.....

14. zico martin

zico martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

think i read on another thread that sky have prevented this feature working for their channels on the V+ boxes :(

15. sjg

sjg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have broadband with Virgin then talk to customer services - I had the same problem and apparently they give priority to broadband if it comes in via your set top box so everything in VOD is slooooooow (including the problem described) but as i pointed out to the droid on the phone I had their VIP service and therefore had a broadband cable modem "Oh, says he, well give me a few minutes and then leave it half and hour and all will be cleared and normal" and so it was!

Talk to them - they may have a solution for you

(Oh and whilst you're there, take the opportunity to bitch on behalf of all of us about the subject we are discussing in this thread! :smashin: :smashin: )

Steve

16. sjg

sjg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can Sky prevent it?? They cannot build into the film a system to stop the hard drive on my V+ doing what comes naturally (Can they?), Surely then, it means then that Virgin have capitualted to a demand from Sky to remove this feature.

Grrrrrrr - A pox on BOTH their houses

Steve

17. sj2004

sj2004
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Virgin's old software (i.e. the Telewest and ntl EPGs) don't allow for mandatory PIN protection so Virgin have had to run a very basic red button service to add PIN protection which stops the V+ doing it's PVR thing. Once the Virgin EPG replaces the others everywhere, all will be back to normal...