1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky + Maths !!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by CVT, Apr 27, 2003.

1. CVT

CVT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

My Sky + box is 6 months old & has started playing up !!

I have 32% worth of programmes stored & only 48% of space available. Now I'm no genius but it just doesn't add up. Can anybody explain this for me ? I also programmed it to record MOTD but it didn't copy the whole programme due to insufficient space on the drive. Although it actually had 10% left !

Another problem I've noticed is the picture occasionally breaking up during playback.

I can also hear the drive working away. How loud does it have to be before it's too loud ?

I just hate phoning SKY as they always seem to brush you off with a load of b******t.

Any advice from you guys ? or should I be brave & ask fo a new box ?

2. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How much time do you have allocated to instant re-wind? Personally, I've set mine to zero because I don't want to fry the hard disc, but it will affect your available space on the disc too.

The planner nearly always over-estimates how much space it needs for recordings, but live sport, I would imagine would be an exception to this rule due to rapid camera panning etc.

3. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you very occasionally get odd picture breakup during bad weather. If it is recording at this time you will naturally record the break up.

Live rewind will not use up 10% sounds a bit odd to me, try clearing out some of the progs see if the missing space reappears

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Different channels use different bit-rates -- which is why some channels look better than others.

These different bit-rates will result in same length of recording, e.g. 30 minutes, requiring a different amount of space depending on which channel is the source.

This will also be true of instant rewind.

I guess this is why the box provides estimates of space usage, rather than actual ammounts.

StooMonster