1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky magic eye?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by ianlecompte, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i,ve just had to hide my digi box in the t.v unit,so i can fit my ps2 in.this very slightly blocks the ir signal to the box,the remote will work on it(pronto 890)but could be better.i was thinking will a sky magic eye work .as i could put the eye at the front of the unit?if it would work how would i connect it up,i know normally you would run a cable out of the 2nd out on the box to youre other t.v with the eye put in the link.do you just put the eye in the incoming ariel cable before it gets to the box?hope thismakes sense
    cheers
    ian

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    It will work just fine.
    The only difference between your needs and the usual remote location is the length of cable between the "eye" and the digibox.
    Infact you may get away with plugging the TVlink directly into the RF2 output.

3. ianlecompte

ianlecompte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanks mate,thats good news,just ordered 2 off the net for £14,i,m gonna use the 1st as prev stated,then the 2nd for the p.c,so 2 on one cable,hope it works?i.e ist direct from digi box then cable to kitchen p.c with 2nd linked there.
    cheers
    ian

4. surfnlurk

surfnlurk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argos have the masterplug version, a two port distribution block with two magic eyes. (£29.99) On offer at £14.99. Better as it has surge protection and can take a power supply to act as an amplifier if you need it. Maybe more useful if you want to send to various rooms.

Argos item no: 534/3906

Can confirm it will work just linked to RF2. Tried it last night.

You may be lucky and get a sky subscription pack from woolies or carphone warehouse for £10. Includes new remote, just bin the rest of the pack. :thumbsup:

5. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have 1 of these and when connected to the second tv there is no power coming to it. I connected it directly to the cable coming out from the sky box and there is power but when I try to run it through my aerial sockets it doesn't work.
    Is there something special I have to do or am missing?

Do these run thru regular co-ax connections or do you need something special?
    What is the purpose of the amplifier?

6. jammyb2004

jammyb2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113

sounds like you haven't got RF2 switched on. go to SERVICES and press 4, 0, 1, SELECT and you'll reach the installers menu, go to RF OUTLETS and make sure RF2 is set to ON.

once done have a look to see if the eye works now?

HTH,

jammy

7. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,576
    You need to enable the power supply to RF2 via a hidden menu on the Digibox. Instructions here.

8. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tips guys but as I said in my post when I connect directly to the RF2 connection on the digibox I get power but when I route it through my aerial connection in my wall to go to the second TV I get no power.
    This is why I think there is some blockage on carrying power thru the aerial sockets. Has anyone come across this and what are the solutions

9. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    If the SKY signal from the RF2 connection goes to your second TV via an amplifier (or Booster) then it may be that the amplifier doesn't allow a D.C. power supply to pass through it, in which case you'll need one of these:
    www.tvlink.co.uk/bypass.htm

Hope this helps.

10. surfnlurk

surfnlurk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read somewhere that if your rf2 cable goes through a wall plate you may get this problem. You can apparently buy wall plates without the extra bits (whatever they are). I always find it best to have no wall plates, just terminate the cable direct to tv/freeview/vcr/sky box.