Sky Magic Eye - How to control 2 Sky+ HD boxes in same room?

DaveyMames

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have 2 Sky+ HD boxes in the same room. The Sky remote controls both boxes at once. I want 1 remote to control 1 box and the other remote to control the other box.

It seems I need these devices:
IO Link (this connects to IO port to give an RF port)
Sky Link (Magic Eye)

Will those devices do the job and does anyone have instructions as to what menu settings I need to change to do what I want? From reaching instructions on a different magic eye device it seems I need to change the frequency of 1 of the remotes so that it only works with 1 of the boxes.

Last edited:
But the item details say:
It is now possible to locate all your Sky set-top boxes in one place and independently control them from other locations within the home.
I think that the OP implied that he wanted to control both boxes independently from the same place. (Like changing 'channels' on a Humax control so that they don't interact)

Correct I'm trying to control 2 boxes in the same room. I need 1 remote to work with 1 box and the other remote to work with the other box.

Surely there's a way to change the settings of one of the remotes, isn't there?

Surely there's a way to change the settings of one of the remotes, isn't there?
Not if they are the same make and model and even with two different makes it is very rarely possible.

But the item details say: I think that the OP implied that he wanted to control both boxes independently from the same place. (Like changing 'channels' on a Humax control so that they don't interact)
So what - you merely block the IR receivers on the boxes and use two magic eyes (possibly one will do).

But the item details say: I think that the OP implied that he wanted to control both boxes independently from the same place. (Like changing 'channels' on a Humax control so that they don't interact)

All you need to do is block infra-red on both boxes and transmit only over coax from a magic eye. The key is the boxes are co-located, the control position over the coax connections can be from anywhere, even in the same local or remote location. Pretty sure that you can't change the channel on a sky remote like you can on Humax remotes.

It's obviously this bit
The only constraint is that once a remote control has been programmed to operate with one of the set-top boxes, it will not operate any of the other set-top boxes within the system.
that does it then?
Just how does each control differ from the other to allow just one to to be programmed to each 'channel' if the outputs from the controls is the same. Do they have an identifying IR preamble ore something?

All you need to do is block infra-red on both boxes and transmit only over coax from a magic eye. The key is the boxes are co-located, the control position over the coax connections can be from anywhere, even in the same local or remote location. Pretty sure that you can't change the channel on a sky remote like you can on Humax remotes.
Wrong there are twelve different modes on the HD remotes -which is what these other devices use 9 see this thread - Sky remotes - reprogram standard to operate Sky+ or HD and vice versa , but you cannot program a Sky box to recognise a different mode and will usually work with several of these,

It's obviously this bit that does it then?
Just how does each control differ from the other to allow just one to to be programmed to each 'channel' if the outputs from the controls is the same. Do they have an identifying IR preamble ore something?
See post immediately above this - although through the magic eye it will only control one box, allowing the IR signal to enter the front of the box will nearly always work on more than one box.

grahamlthompson has it and this is how my boxes are set up. Block the direct remote to the box and have a magic eye run to both boxes through a Super Plus combiner. That the gives you control over both boxes in the room with separate remotes and means you can pipe both boxes round the house with the RF (or just the remote control if you have a matrix or other better way to send the actual picture signal).

The item posted in post 2 on this thread is what the OP requires.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom